Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Tail Light/Side Marker Lights wont turn on

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 04:58 PM

Tail Light/Side Marker Lights wont turn on

Before I go on my issue I spent 30-45 minutes looking at the threads to make sure I am not adding the same thing, if there is a thread out there like this forgive me, however all I have seen ended up being a bulb/fuse problem, so far mine is NOT that problem.

The Issue: I was changing my back side marker lights on my HHR when I realized that my Tail/brake lights weren't on anymore, , keep in mind all of them were on right before I started changing the bad bulb, as I looked around the car I saw that none of the side marker lights were working anymore, and the tail lights werent on anymore , tail lights only work when I hit the brake, or use the signals. Panel lights, and Head lights work just fine.

I checked the fuses, everything is good, I disconnected the battery then reconnected, still not sigh of hope. Turned Auto lights on/off, closed the garage to have it darker, again nothing. Started then turned the car off over 20 times, still no tail lights, ONLY when I hit the brake pedal, when I use my turn signal my tail lights awork, just not when the lights are on..

Important enough to mention because I have also tried this to see if they work: when I use the remote starter on my car it always turned all of the lights on, head light, tail light, side marker lights, now when I tried it on remote start none would come on (might be irrelevant to the problem but worth mentioning)

Please help me out with this, when I had the steering motor problem this forum saved me over a thousand dollars because of suggestions, I hope you guys can save me the money of taking in the dealership again.

Also if you know a certain fuse I should check again please note it.

Thanks a lot.
Old 04-12-2014, 09:30 PM

Headlights turned "ON", not "AUTO"? DRL does not illuminate tails.

Any LEDs added after market?

Seems I remember something like this a few months back. Bad bulb holder IIRC? Wouldn't ground until something else shorted it.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:54 AM

It would be fuse 69 in the under hood fuse box. There is also a relay in the same under hood fuse box. The lights worked before you changed the bulb so I would guess that you may have blown a fuse.

Here is a wiring diagram also.
Attached Images