Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

TC light and hard shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 01:54 PM

Question TC light and hard shifting problem

Hey guys, my TC light has been coming on for about a month now...when it does I get hard transmission shifts...then after a while the light goes out and everything is fine. Finally today I got the CEL light...had it read and it is P2119 (throttle closed position performance). The symptoms are exactly like the camshaft solenoid problem that I have seen on this forum dozens of times. I cleaned the throttle body today...no help...ANY SUGGESTIONS
Thanks
Old 08-18-2013, 02:00 PM
Technical Moderator

Sounds like you already got my suggestion, the solenoids don't always throw a code. Or, you are having a bad speed sensor in a wheel or a brake fluid problem or a brake pad problem or the throttle position sensor is doing something funny. The code may be one of those transient ones, or misread.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:03 PM

Thanks Donbrew, so would you go and replace both solenoids if it were you?
Old 08-18-2013, 03:15 PM
Technical Moderator

I would poke around looking for loose/frayed wires. Check the brake fluid. Check the brake pads. Check the ABS wires at the hubs. Check the hubs.

The code may be real and the problem. I would try looking it up in my Mitchell OnDemand, but you have not given year,model, engine etc.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:25 PM
Technical Moderator

p2119 means that the throttle plate did not return to the closed position within 720 milliseconds.
So, I'm looking at the "drive by wire" system and the springs on the throttle body, I don't remember if there is any lube point on the throttle actuator.
I am assuming that you knew what you were doing and used the correct chemical to clean the throttle body.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member

Sunset - I've got the same issue starting to pop up as well. But I am still waiting to get a code, but the problem is real intermittant here. I have the solenoids on suspect, but am trying to get a code before I consider replacing them. Shutting it off for a few minutes seems to clear the problem for a few weeks or more.

Dang, don't ya hate intermittant problems?

I'd keep an eye on it and download future codes for diagnostics - and in the meantime, do a little more research on your current code.

Do keep us posted on it. Maybe others here can chime in with more info or tips for you.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:22 PM

Thanks guys. I used the CRC throttle body cleaner. The car is a 2006 HHR with 2.4 and automatic. The only driveability problem is the hard shifting. The TC light comes and goes and so does the hard shifting. Is the hard shifting going to damage anything?
If anybody has any more ideas, please post them.
Thanks again
Old 08-18-2013, 04:57 PM
Technical Moderator

Over heating can cause the hard shifting. The hard shifting comes from the engine going into "limp home" mode. TC light comes on under the same circumstances.

Check your coolant. Cooling system. Does the A/C work when these things happen? One more thing that over heating does.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

I don't know if the hard shifting can cause further problems - it doesn't seem to - but I sure don't like it, so I usually turn it off for a few minutes to clear it if there ìs no CEL lit at the same time.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:05 PM

Temp is fine. AC works fine. Is anything going to be damaged by driving it like this?

Quick Reply: TC light and hard shifting problem