Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   Problems/Service/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/)
-   -   Time to replace starter 07 HHR 2.4L? (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/time-replace-starter-07-hhr-2-4l-41509/)

donbrew 05-11-2014 02:10 PM

That includes the 20 minutes to R&R the air filter housing.

bigwillyg 05-12-2014 07:01 PM

Yup. Just gotta buy it.

bigwillyg 05-13-2014 01:36 PM

Wow. I just replaced the intake camshaft actuator solenoid. I can't believe how quiet the car got. And it runs so much smoother. That is unbelievable.

ScareDe2 01-21-2021 04:24 AM

Hi same problem here, hhr 2007 2.4L with 200k+ miles. I did not have much hints that it was going to happen, was a bit surprising, went to my mail box, stopped the car took the key to the mail return back to the vehicule and nada, the HHR simply did not even want to try to start, no click, no nothing except the dash board lights. I never experienced any starter noises. We tried to hit the starter which was seemingly, totally, unresponsive. I don't know much about it but the other person told me he did not see the inside part of the starter even try to engage with a movement, if that can help understand. He suspect that the starter itself might not be the problem. Do I have to get the HHR to my nearest garage and pay the high bill or should I just try to replace the starter? Thanks.

*Also I did not have any codes at the time of the starter fail, except a camshaft position code that did disappear by itself (maybe the camshaft solenoid is just a little dirty) - the check engine and TC light all went off. The car was running smoothly without any problems.

Oldblue 01-21-2021 06:01 AM

Which code? The actual code itself would help us. We don’t like to guess.
At the mileage it could be the starter, or loose fuses or relays, ground wire loose or corroded.
Then again the ignition switch might be the problem

firemangeorge 01-21-2021 06:20 AM

1st thing is check the static battery voltage. Anything below 12.6 could give you problems.

RJ_RS_SS_350 01-21-2021 09:29 AM

Yes, it does sound like a battery or connection problem.

Have the ignition related recalls been performed?

ScareDe2 01-21-2021 10:44 AM

Yes the ignition recalls has been performed. The battery is brand new from last year. I don't know about the codes, perhaps P0013 but they have been deleted and never came back.
I don't have much options, one guy has found a brand new starter for $112 CAD and meanwhile I have a second courtesy vehicule borrowed from a familly member. I will simply try to replace myself the starter - it never has been replaced for 200k+ miles anyway. If I go to canadian tire they gonna charge me $200 for the piece and $100 every hour of work.

firemangeorge 01-21-2021 10:48 AM

So telling you to check the battery voltage 1st is just me wasting my time ?
OK. Good luck. I'm out.

ScareDe2 01-21-2021 11:15 AM

I don't have any voltage tool in my possession. But no problem. When the HHR is gonna get towed back I am gonna try to start it with a boost.