Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Tires at 69000 Miles on my HHR 06

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 01:47 AM

Tires at 69000 Miles on my HHR 06

I just put on new tires.(Kumho) I wanted a good tire for the rain we have in the Pacific NorthWest. The tire place told me the the strut is leaking. I got a quote for about $500.00 and some change. He told me that this has been a problem on the cobalt too. He said the leak is small and will just go bad and chew up my new tires! Krap. More $... And the brakes suck bad too. I got the shake on stopping. Not going to replace the brakes yet. But I will up grade to after market drilled disc rotters. I installed the fog lights. I like the HaLo colors. This is just one of 7 colors. You can switch to fog lights or HaLo's. Halo's are LED.
Name:  hhr_purple-1.jpg
Views: 27
Size:  32.7 KBName:  HPIM5814-1.jpg
Views: 32
Size:  18.7 KB
Old 05-15-2008, 06:50 AM

I've had good luck with Kumho tires. Very good for the price. You might want to get a 2nd opinion on the struts to make sure they aren't pulling your chain and that the price is right.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by purple haze
I just put on new tires.(Kumho) I wanted a good tire for the rain we have in the Pacific NorthWest. The tire place told me the the strut is leaking. I got a quote for about $500.00 and some change. He told me that this has been a problem on the cobalt too. He said the leak is small and will just go bad and chew up my new tires! Krap. More $... And the brakes suck bad too. I got the shake on stopping. Not going to replace the brakes yet. But I will up grade to after market drilled disc rotters. I installed the fog lights. I like the HaLo colors. This is just one of 7 colors. You can switch to fog lights or HaLo's. Halo's are LED.
Which brand of HALos did you get/where did you buy them from? They look really good.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-16-2008, 12:24 AM

Fog Lights

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-08...spagenameZWDVW
I found them on Ebay. The hard part was installing them. I used the factory fog light covers. Just cut them and silcone them in and mounted back in. Ran the wires and bota bing bota bang. done
Name:  hhr_fog_lights_and_all_lights_on.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  23.3 KBName:  hhr_yel_pk_lights-1.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  16.4 KB
Name:  100_0389-1.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  16.3 KB
I put the fog light switch on left side of dash.
Name:  hhrblue-1.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  24.9 KB
Old 05-16-2008, 12:35 AM

Originally Posted by pitbull76
I've had good luck with Kumho tires. Very good for the price. You might want to get a 2nd opinion on the struts to make sure they aren't pulling your chain and that the price is right.
Yes I was going to look at it and take it to the other tire shop for a estimate. I will also be checking at the chevy house. I have a broken wind gard on my sun roof. I will get it installed and ask them to look for the problem with sturts leaking. The Tire Factory is my Tire company and I have used them for years and never been stiffed or got bad info from them. But always good to check with others. He said at the tire factory only one strut is leaking and it's a small leak now. But I wanted a quote on all four. That's why it's so hi.
thanks for the info.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:43 AM

That's a bit high for struts. Rock Auto has a Monroe SENSA-TRAC for $64 each, and it's probably an hour job to do both. I just changed springs today on mine and that job was less than an hour, and I hadn't done it before so there was a learning curve involved. Also, when I got the spring off, I had to change the compressor to a different spring, a step that wouldn't be needed if changing the struts making the job even easier. A shop that does this type of work should be able to do it easier than I did. Biggest problem I had was trying to find my spring compressor, so I had my wife run by Autozone and borrow theirs. She left a deposit and got that back when she returned it.
The rear shocks are even easier to replace - two bolts.
Old 05-16-2008, 06:06 AM

Thanks for the info, the rings look cool. Might just do it.