Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Traction??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 06:31 PM

Traction??

I know I do not post a lot here however I follow the forums. I have noticed with the recent snow we have had here in ohio that it seems like the engine computer or the transmission is backing my throttle down when the tires spin in the snow. My car is a former rental that I enabled the remote start on. I am not hitting the rev limiter at all however I feel and can see the rpm's drop off till I back off the gas. There is not a traction controll system light activating or anything. Has anyone else noticed this about our hhr's? If so does anyone know why this is happening?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:33 PM

Isn't that what it is supposed to do?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:38 PM

http://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/traction-control.html
Old 01-12-2011, 07:38 PM

Thats what my SS does , You can floor it as the wheels are spinning in snow , And the computer kicks in and controls the throtle until traction is regained .

Great read grumpee. The link has some informative info on the ESC too.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:01 PM

Thank you for the link it was very helpfull. I am glad to see that others have noticed this also. I wouldnt care that it is supposed to do that with the exception of the fact that GM and most other car companies remove fuel to back down the throttle and this leaning condition is what blew the engine in my Grad Prix last year. I do not know if GM uses a fuel cut now however I do know they did then.

My next question is does anyone know HOW the computer is backing it down?
Old 01-12-2011, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by THE BATMAN
Thats what my SS does , You can floor it as the wheels are spinning in snow , And the computer kicks in and controls the throtle until traction is regained .

Great read grumpee. The link has some informative info on the ESC too.
Yup, same here. If I lose traction long enough, the engine cuts power and wont rev past 1800-2000. Actually a good design for saving driveline parts but bad when you got people on your bumper honking to get out the way. Sucks moving from a stop in deep enough snow on the pilots.

Dave
Old 01-14-2011, 08:39 PM

It's called Enhanced Traction System (ETS) You should get a low traction warning on the DIC when it limits the engine rpm. It will also disengage the cruise control when wheel slip is detected. If you want to spin the wheels, put it in low and it disables the system.

It's in the Owners Manual.
Old 01-15-2011, 03:02 AM

on my wife's sunfire you just pull up the ebrake a hair and disables it. personally i love the GM traction control. has gotten me through some crappy weather.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:28 AM

I experience that this am when driving on wet roads. My wheels spun and on the dic it pops up "low traction" wow no crap I said to myself.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:17 AM

Minor issue with my 09 HHR but a MAJOR one with the Govmnt 09 Ford Focus. I had to get it out of a snow drift in the parking lot and as I powered through it it bogged down real bad & lost the power to get through the snow. Was able to turn the TC off and then continue on.

Quick Reply: Traction??