Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 03:33 PM

Angry Traction Control

I have read every post on the web that I can find about the TC light coming on. I own a 2007 HHR 2.4L with the 4T45 Tranny. To give some insight into what I have already done, I have pulled the transmission three times replaced all the shift solenoids, even the internal wiring harness, all parts are Delco GM parts after getting a bad 1st shift solenoid and having to pull the tranny again. Have replaced all fluid had it looked at at several Transmission shops, and Chevrolet dealers. I even replaced the TCM. The only time I get the TC light and the hard shifting if I have driven the car for at least a half hour the outside temperature is over 93 degrees and I'm sitting at a light. The TC will come on with no movement and in drive and will start the shift hard sequence, after driving for a little while, the shifting returns to normal the TC light stays on and sometimes I get a Check engine light and reading the code always shows the exhaust solenoid which I have changed both intake and exhaust solenoids twice. After shutting off the engine, sometimes the TC light goes away with the check engine light on, other times it is just the TC light with no hard shifting. Now the reason I changed the TCM at a Chevrolet dealership (they had to flash it for my engine) found out when this started I would take out the TCM and put it in a freezer (strange) for about 15 minutes put it back in, disconnect my battery resetting everything and everything runs normal until the outside temperature gets above 93 degrees here in Florida and I'm sitting at a light never running down the highway or moving. I thought the TCM had to be bad and was over heating, it kind of fixed some of the problem by returning the shifting back to normal after a few minutes of driving unlike before, it wouldn't until I did my freezer thing. I've driven this car in very cold Northern climates and never have had a problem.
I think there has to be something getting to hot and telling the computer there is a problem and setting off the TC which would be the old limp mode. I took it to a electric shop and they checked the wiring harness and said it was good but I think one of the wires maybe getting to hot and loosing or adding voltage.Forgot to mention all the brakes are new and the master cylinder and ABS too.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Timing chain is good and so is the guide. Maybe I should move to Canada and only drive the car in 80 degree or colder weather.... :)
Old 05-25-2019, 04:24 PM
Technical Moderator

What do you think Traction control has to do with the transmission? Traction control is handled by the ABS.
Any OBD codes at all?
what is the engine temp?
Usually the TC light comes on for some engine related problem (like the Camshaft position solenoids) or a bad wheel speed sensor.

That code is your problem. It does not light the CEL the first time it occurs in a drive cycle. It is not necessarily the solenoid that is bad, depends on the code.

Oh, and the light means that TC is turned off. Many people like that.

Old 05-25-2019, 04:26 PM
Platinum Member

I think you're looking at the wrong things for your problem.
Certain CEL codes will disable the TC when the Check Engine Light is activated. My suggestion would be to pull the codes the next time this occurs. Post up the numbers here and we'll help you find the solution. Post only numbers. ex. P0001,P0002. DON'T post the descriptions of the codes. Some code reader descriptions can be inaccurate and some down right wrong.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:08 PM

I understand that it turns it off but why only at a certain temperature. The code always comes back as Exhaust Camshaft Solenoid. Also the wheels are not moving and only happens when at a light when waiting to move. The codes were also coming back 1st and 2nd shift solenoid and exhaust solenoid. This was done at Electrical shops and Dealers. Reason for transmission work. Also per your comment my HHR doesn't have an of and on switch for TC. Plus engine temps are normal too.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:12 PM

Codes have been P0974-00 and P0013. Which have all been replaced including wiring harness. Plus brakes and ABS with new Brake Master cylinder. Makes no sense only at higher temps outside engine is in range 192 to 200 and car is in gear and not rolling at all.
Old 05-25-2019, 07:47 PM
Technical Moderator

P0013 actually means the solenoid control CIRCUIT. That could mean that the coils in the solenoid are shorted or that the wiring is defective; bad connector, broken wire etc.

Could be heat affecting something.

Old 05-25-2019, 09:50 PM

That's my next attempt, just replace the wiring harness from the PCM to both of the Solenoids. Been looking for the entire harness with connectors and just replace. I think the wires in the harness are getting to hot and causes the TC (telling me something is wrong since I don't have an off and on switch, new way for computer to tell you something is wrong, shift hard instead of putting you in limp mode), causing rough shifting then check engine light sometimes. Cools down shifts right again, TC light goes off sometimes as does check engine light. Code always comes back as Exhaust Camshaft Position, screens are clean and both Intake and Exhaust Solenoids are new.
Is there a part number for the wiring harness? This is always intermittent and only when hot. I've checked the wires, voltage, Ohms everything as explained and they all show good so there is something in the wiring that gets too hot and causes this, is my final thought.

Thanks for the help.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:20 AM
Platinum Member

"Code always comes back as Exhaust Camshaft Position" - do you actually mean Exhaust Camshaft Solenoid? What is the actual CODE?
(that is why we ask that you post the code, not a description as the working often changes)

FYI - are you aware that a lot of the codes will clear when the car is shut off? ie: it cools down and the car will start with no error code/light symptoms etc. - but the error may come back later.
ie: the TCL will be reset in most cases by simply shutting off the car and restarting it after a couple of seconds
Old 05-27-2019, 08:34 AM
Technical Moderator

The Traction control light on the dash is an on/off switch. The light on means it is turned off.

The traction control light is not necessarily "telling you something is wrong" it is telling you "traction control is off". If you also have a pending or current OBD code at the same time that is the cause.

You seem to be saying the code does not always show, or you are not looking every time. You might try changing the exhaust camshaft position sensor, at least look at the wires.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:40 PM

Traction Control #2

The TC goes on and at first the codes I received were P0974-00 and P0013.
2007 HHR 2.4L 4T45 transmission.
I pulled the transmission and replaced all the shift solenoids and internal wiring harness. Fixed the P0974-00.
Replaced the VVT solenoids both intake and exhaust just to be safe, changed oil even though the older VVT screens were clean.
Keep getting TC only when outside temperature is above 93 degrees and I'm in stop and go traffic, stopped at light and TC will go on.
Sometimes I get CEL with the P0013 and other times nothing but TC. Replaced TCM and flashed to car's Vin at Dealership.
From my understanding the TC comes on and trans shifts hard to let you know you have a problem. In most cases the shifting goes back to normal and TC will go off without a CEL of P0013.
Other times I have both on and I have to reset the CEL, can't reset the TC with my OBDii reader only by disconnecting ground side of battery. Yet, since new TCM the TC goes off by itself and shifting returns to normal.
The strangest thing about this is that, it only happens when the outside temperature is 93 or above.
I've also replaced the brakes and master cylinder at dealership and ABS checked. Also checked timing chain and guide and they are good too.
I figure it has to be in the circuit wiring or possible the ECM since I replaced the TCM. Engine temps run normal as do transmission temps. This one has me really stumped.

That is all the codes, year, engine and transmission types and current fixes.

Quick Reply: Traction Control