Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Traction control light and check engine light on

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 04:49 PM

Traction control light and check engine light on

Hello all .
I have a 2007 Chevy HHR with a few things going on .
1 check engine light
2 traction control light on ( service traction control / traction control off )
3 Bangs into gear .
I have had a leak in the flex pipe for over a year . Was able to use a chain and turnbuckle to keep it close enough so i does not trip the check engine light or leak to bad and be loud. It has been working fine for over a year now. My problems all started when i ran though some water during a heavy rain storm . water must have got into the flex crack ( could hear the change in sound of the exhuast ) then got the traction control and check engine light and bangs into gears . Its been this way for a few months now . I disconnected the battery but when reconnected and started the traction control light came on right away and a min or 2 later the check engine light . I had autozone pull the codes and they are as follows
P0030 02 sensor heater condition
P0036 02 sensor heater condition
P0102 map or maf/vaf sensor
P0443 map or maf
B0561 has to do with traction control ( no print out on this ) could this be a bad wheel bearing causing this ??? getting noise up front sounds like tire or rotor may be causing it . Will check on that this weekend
im looking into getting a new after market direct fit cat or possible flex repair ( but the repair is abot 100 .00 cheaaper so may go with the cat . What if any one thing could have caused all these and did disconnecting the battery clear these or do they need to be reset . Car runs fine .pleanty of power . mileage is 20 mpg but i tend to be heavy on the pedal . also getting a thumping from up front . Not sure if it is from the tires so i will swap front to rear to see if it follows to back end or it is coming from the rotors that are YES warpped again ( new priemum ones bought in May ) anyone have any luck with the drilled and slotted rotors. Oh i read one forum about the Exh and intake cam position solonoids went and got both only to take the air box off and see they were not there I have a 2.2 . if that fix will work for my car does anyone know the part #'s for the 2.2 and where they are located . Saw the write up and pics on the 2.4 excellent job . Help anyone . I want to drive it into a tree and leave it there . Sorry for rambling on but dont want to take it to a dealer or repair shop . Thanks

Last edited by purple people eater; 10-27-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:30 PM

we were having the same issues, cleaned the throttle body, put in a new air filter...issues gone
Old 11-08-2011, 03:26 AM
Platinum Member

Oh boy. It's posts like that that makes it hard to offer advice - ie: nowhere did you get the CEL codes related to the Camshaft Postition Actuator Solenoids, yet you picked up a set? - And driving around for a year with a chain and turnbuckle used to "fix" the flex pipe?

And a B0561? Looks to me like it is related more to the airbag system.

If you are really serious about all you posted, all I can advise is - take thee and thine car to the nearest dealer and let them sort it out.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:28 AM

When you say 'flex pipe' do you mean the part of the catalytic converter that connects to the exhaust manifold? If so, GM will replace that under warranty (96/80000 FEDERAL EMISSION CATALYTIC CONV. AND PCM)
Old 11-09-2011, 11:14 PM
Platinum Member

Looks like the op was speaking out of his exhaust pipe after all.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:34 AM

picked up the solonoids before i got the codes read at auto zone.Thats what i get for being a smart ass .Also the 2.2 has a different setup . than the one in the write up . tires werre shot noise in front gone . this weekend rotors and pads up front may tackle doing a cat to ,
Old 11-10-2011, 12:38 AM

dealer by me is an ass took it to them 5 times for the leak i was smelling when using the vent , only to find it myself after warranty and Fleet coverage would have fixed the cat flex or replaced the whole cat so i dont trust these jerks to check my tire pressure , lost faith in dealers long time ago , .any idea why the traction control light is on . like i said car runs great for one with all these codes. just bangs into gears and tghe lights on dash
Old 11-10-2011, 05:17 AM

"any idea why the traction control light is on ."

T/C light and hard shifting is part of the system, similar to the old "limp mode". This will happen when many codes are generated due to other faults in the system.... especially if the CEL is also on. It usually has nothing to do with traction control or the tranny. Fix the real problem or problems, reset the system and the T/C and hard shifting goes away.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:44 PM

update . Replaced the whole cat assly with a New unit. Went to get it inspected they pulled these codes P0030 P0036 P0053 P0054 and a P0102 So i replaced the following New o2 sensors before and after cat . New MAF sensor . New air filter . Disconnected the battery for 30 min reconnected still have the traction control light and check engine light HELP !!!!
Old 12-05-2011, 05:44 PM

I had the same problem with my 2006 w/2.4L (68K miles). The code was P0011 - intake cam position system performance. I replaced the intake cam timing sensor and the solenoids/actuators checked okay. The only thing left was the intake cam timing gear. That is when I traded the car for a 2011.

Have the dealer (or someone) read the codes.

Quick Reply: Traction control light and check engine light on