Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Turn Signal Chime – not loud enough!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 06:28 PM

Turn Signal Chime – not loud enough!

I know the turn signal chime comes out of the left front speakers via the radio. The radio output is controlled by the low speed serial link, not the high speed CAN, via the Body Control Module(BCM).

Now, what can be done to increase the volume? Is there some programming of either the BCM or the Radio that can be done?

I have been leaving the turn signals on just too much, especially when the rain makes it harder to hear. It would seem there would be some adjustment for this. I know I have seen old type flasher relays that have increased noise makers built in being sold to the older, harder of hearing crowd.

I have read other posts where people wish to turn their turn signal chimes off or don’t care if they loose it after replacing their stock radio with an after market radio. I do value my chimes, when I can hear them!

This is a 2009 LS.
Old 03-08-2009, 06:35 PM

when my brother installed new speakers and amplified them in his cobalt it made the chimes really loud
Old 03-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Founding Member

Try this link.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/adjusting-headlight-door-key-chime-volume-15860/#post365214
Old 03-09-2009, 05:55 PM

ChevyMgr,

Results from above link to older thread did not seem to work. No change in display or the three chimes.

I have one of the newer Delphi radios if that makes a difference. RPO Code of radio is US8 with UW5 & U2K. 2009 LS base radio.

Turned ignition to Run(before the crank position) waited for the current chimes to stop(no seat belt warning) and pressed and held the 6th preselect button(as counted left to right) for 30 seconds. No luck.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2009, 06:16 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Sno White
ChevyMgr,

Results from above link to older thread did not seem to work. No change in display or the three chimes.

I have one of the newer Delphi radios if that makes a difference. RPO Code of radio is US8 with UW5 & U2K. 2009 LS base radio.

Turned ignition to Run(before the crank position) waited for the current chimes to stop(no seat belt warning) and pressed and held the 6th preselect button(as counted left to right) for 30 seconds. No luck.

Thanks
The radio must be turned off to program the chime. Was it?

Here is what the 2009 manual states:
Chime Level Adjustment
The radio may be used to adjust the vehicle's chime level. If the radio can be used to change the volume level of the chime, press and hold the sixth numbered pushbutton or the sixth FAV pushbutton with the ignition on and the radio power off. The volume level changes between Normal and Loud. The selected volume level appears on the radio display.

Removing the radio and not replacing it with a factory radio or chime module will disable vehicle chimes.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:33 PM

Yes, the radio was off; only display was the current time.

I have read that Owners Manual front to rear how did I miss those instructions - don't answer that!

The thing that bothers me is that word "If" in the second sentence of the instructions. Sounds like some "can't" be adjusted.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by Sno White
Yes, the radio was off; only display was the current time.

I have read that Owners Manual front to rear how did I miss those instructions - don't answer that!

The thing that bothers me is that word "If" in the second sentence of the instructions. Sounds like some "can't" be adjusted.
This procedure worked fine on my 2007 with a US8 radio. So I went up to the showroom and tried a 2009 and it didn't change. I will check tomorrow and see if it can be done with the Tech II scanner. I haven't looked in the DIC personalization for a 2009. I am guessing you have checked it already.
Old 03-09-2009, 07:20 PM

Relived to hear you got the same result, well sort of.

Nothing I found on the DIC using the steering wheel controls.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:13 PM
Founding Member

I know it wont make you happy but try this link:

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...19&page=21#208
Old 03-10-2009, 05:04 PM

Darn. What I suspected.

Thanks for trying!

Quick Reply: Turn Signal Chime – not loud enough!