Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Ugh....here we go....

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 02:12 PM

Ugh....here we go....

Driving to work today and notice my Coolant / Temp gauge is at Zero... Did some research on here and sounds like it's either a Thermostat gauge, or a bad connection somewhere...... 100$ for them to even look at the car..... Weak.....
Old 06-09-2009, 02:50 PM

I take it you out of warranty? Have you looked at coolant when car is cold ?
Old 06-09-2009, 02:58 PM

If the gauge reads zero and the digital read out is --- you can just about guess its the thermostat.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:55 PM

I've been reading the web and saw all the people on here with similar issues. It sounds like thermostat. Whats weird is as I was driving home today, it kicked back in and was working. I also noticed that when the gauge read Zero, my A/C Wouldn't blow cold. As soon as it kicked back in, it worked fine. Weird... I'm not sure if I should bring it in Thursday, or just keep an eye on it for a week or two.....
Old 06-09-2009, 08:05 PM

Mine did the same thing. Now it seems to be working fine. Some people say it is a thermostat. But i'm not too sure about that. But for now mine is working fine.Don't run the a/c much so can't help you their
Old 06-09-2009, 08:11 PM

I let it sit for about 4 hours and went out and just started it up. Everything kicked right in and worked fine. Whats weird is this...

Would the Change oil soon light coming on have anything to do with it?

Last time I got my oil changed, I forgot to reset the gauge. I reset it this afternoon before driving home, and once I did that it started working again.....
Old 06-10-2009, 08:15 AM

Drove to work this morning, and everything is working normal. I think i'm just gonna sit on it and watch it over the next few days and see if it does it again......Thanks for the help gents
Old 06-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Platinum Member

it's the thermostat

Looks like you got the thermostat problem for sure. Mine did exactly the same things - display would just show "---" while driving, then would work just fine the next morning. As the problem got worse and worse, eventually the Engine Check light would come on, and turn off. then the EC light would be on all the time. Disconnecting/reconnecting the battery would reset the Check light.

What is happening is the gasket around the movable valve in the thermostat is breaking down, and is keeping the thermostat partially open. This slows the warm-up time down, and keeps the engine from getting up to an appropriate temperature in a suitable time - so in essence what you are seeing is a "too cool" condition.

You can change it out yourself - but it is a bit cramped in there, however it is do-able. I did the changeout myself as the dealer wanted $300+!!!!!!!!! there should be some posts on changing it out - it's not a big deal. My only problem was finding the drain valve for the rad - and CHEVYMGR showed me where it is (passenger side, at the back of the rad - very hard to see, but findable by touch).

Almost forgot - yeah the A/C will stop working on occassion due to the thermostat sticking open (danged if I know why it only does it sometimes).
Old 06-11-2009, 11:48 AM

This is exactly what happened to mine and it was the thermostat.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:57 PM

Yep, It was the thermostat. The guy told me they replaced that, a wiring harness, and the housing around the thermostat... Thank God it was all still under Warranty.