Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Vent canister connector

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2022, 07:38 PM

Vent canister connector

I have a 2009 LT with 2.4 engine. I have repaired the pigtail that connects the vent canister to the under body connector some time ago but it is faulty again. I removed the pigtail and tested for continuity and found there wasn't any on either wire. So I took the wires out of the loom and found the wires broken. I separated both wires where the breaks were so that there are now two sections. One section has the small connector that plugs into the valve and the other to the body connector.

While carrying the small connector to my work bench the white wire broke off near the connector so I can't splice another wire to it. I've looked for a new pigtail at Rock Auto. The GM OEM one they sell looks close to the one I have but the larger connector that plugs into the body connector is a little different. The GM pigtail looks short in their picture too with no specs on the length given. I have attached pictures of my connectors. I tried to download the GM picture but had not luck. Would I need an adapter to use the GM pigtail?

Vent canister connector to canister

Vent canister connector to under body connector
Old 09-23-2022, 09:05 PM

The for sure fix is to get the adapter they sell for 2006-2007 cars that get a new valve. 2006-2007 had a different connector the replacement valve is a new design.
If you have an adapter something is strange. 2088-2011 the body harness should plug directly to the solenoid.
However, find out what is causing the short circuit and why there was no code to tell you.

One of these at autozone, the Dorman one is the adapter, just cut the harness end off.
https://www.autozone.com/electrical-...eVehicle=false
Old 09-23-2022, 10:01 PM

I don't have any adapter with this pigtail. Just the connectors in the pictures and wires between them and it does plug directly from the body harness to the canister. I do have the P0449 code. I don't think there is a short. This is the code I had before and when I repaired the wire. The code cleared and stayed off for quite a while.
Old 09-24-2022, 07:51 AM

If there is no short what caused the melting and burning?
Old 09-24-2022, 06:33 PM

There was no melting or burning. The white wire just broke off at the canister connector. It seems the wire was just worn out. Nothing was melted.
Old 09-24-2022, 07:03 PM

Your first pic, the terminals are black. They're not burned?
Old 09-24-2022, 07:13 PM

How do wires "just wear out"? Something has to make the brittle.
Old 09-24-2022, 07:43 PM

No, they are not burned. They are made of black plastic; the same as the outer housing on the connector. There is some dirt as well but the connector is not burned or melted.
Old 09-24-2022, 07:50 PM

I'm betting you should replace the vent solenoid. Wires wear out from carrying too many amps a frazzled solenoid can pull excessive amps.
Old 09-24-2022, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
How do wires "just wear out"? Something has to make the brittle.
Perhaps that was a bad choice of words. The wires may not be worn out but they are quite thin. I think the previous owner did some work on this pigtail because there was electrical tape around the loom. The thin wire may have been twisted or bent by that person and that is how it became weak and broke after I took it off the car. I handled it gingerly but it broke off anyway.

Quick Reply: Vent canister connector