Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Warped

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 09:42 PM

Exclamation Warped

Shortly after getting my wife's 07 HHR the left brake rotor warped on us. We had it fixed and went about two weeks and it did it again. I'm at a loss! It's always the left. I wonder to myself if zipper head pounded the lug nuts on with the impact or did the smart thing and used a torque wrench. Neither one of us cram on the brakes or ride them hard and avoid big puddles when it's wet out. I'm thinking about doing drilled & slotted replacements this time in case it is a heat issue but don't want one of them fubar'd either.

Anybody had this problem or heard of a cause?!
Old 05-24-2009, 10:01 PM

There are many post on warped rotors on this forum. Myself and someother have not had bad rotors. Use the search and you will find lots of after market rotors & pads. Some of the Vendors on this site have them.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:07 PM

Thank you, Sir!
Old 05-25-2009, 10:09 AM

Unhappy

I've gone bug eyed reading through all the archives. I've been looking at several different brands of rotors and pads... but I'm guessing EBC's are the thing to get?

I hate the thought of spending $300 for rotors & pads but if that's what its going to take to "hopefully" eliminate the brake issues then I guess I haven't a choice. I'll do the work myself to save a few bucks, since it's not that big of a project.

I'm open for recommendations & input!
Old 05-25-2009, 02:25 PM

is the left side caliper been looked at? the cup/ piston could be starting to bind up and not releasing.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:34 AM

Im only guessing probably not

I was at work the last time my wife took it to the Chevy dealer for the last go-a-round. I'm having issues like others have stated in other threads. Sometimes worse than others or almost non existent. I notice when roads are wet it doesn't seem to do it and the brakes grab so hard I feel like I'd go through the windshield if I didn't have my seatbelt on. That's short lived though. This past Sunday I thought the whole front end was going to tear off it was so violently shuttering. Monday it was more of the normal pulsing.

My problem is not having a GM dealer / shop near by that I trust. If I were back home in MN near the dealership I worked at I'd feel confident in those guys' capabilities & thoroughness. These fellas down here couldn't find a penny in a fuse block with a bright red flag hanging off of it. I'd end up with rear wheel bearings being replaced and them telling me that was an electrical issue. I'm really not joking! I've seen several instances of complete unrelated repairs being done and the initial issue not even being addressed because it was the other "thing" that caused the original complaint. Again, I'm not joking...

I had one repair shop that I trusted and became good friends with the owner & mechanics. Unfortunately the owner went through a nasty divorce and it cost him his business. but I digress
I have one shop that may be able to give me an honest no nonsense answer but its just getting the time to get the car to him.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by HCSO249
I've gone bug eyed reading through all the archives. I've been looking at several different brands of rotors and pads... but I'm guessing EBC's are the thing to get?

If you want to have the same problems then the answer is Yes. There is a recent thread here about problems with EBC. I personally ordered my new rotors from Autozone.com and the new Duralast pads. I have put over 10k on them and have had no problems. Rotors and pads under $200 and a lifetime warranty.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:08 AM

Also have this problem. Took it to the dealer over this past Weekend. Rotor's were starting to warp. They resurfaced them, we will see how long this last. Car only has 8,000 Mile's on it.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:57 AM

The second trip I took in mine was to the dealer to have the rotors turned, but it was nothing even close to being as bad as yours. Brake issues are safety related... you may wind up in a Lemon Law situation so study up on yours.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:23 PM

The stock rotors are prone to warping............there is just no way around that. If you drive the car hard it will warp the rotors even faster. If any of you are wondering the design is bad enough that if you heat the rotors in spirited driving you can warp them in one day. Here's the interesting part, and why I feel the design is a problem.

Drove the car hard for about an hour....... after an hour the rotors were so out of true that I had to stop driving it. Let it sit for 2 hours and let the rotors cool and they went back to just pulsing the brake pedal a little. That tells me that the rotor does not heat evenly. If the rotor doesn't heat evenly its going to warp.........

Just MY $0.02 on the subject!