Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

watch your wheel studs

Old 06-28-2008, 08:57 PM

Exclamation watch your wheel studs

If I hadn't seen it myself I sure wouldn't believe it.
while trying to change out rotors today

Ok, so we take the wheel trim off and on the right front, the broken wheel stud/lug was sitting there. it was sheered off. Take it to the dealer since they were able to get it done pick her up and drive home. Now we get home and Hubby goes to change out the rotors and guess what we find on the freakin drivers side... Hubby goes to take off driver's side and while removing we got ANOTHER BROKEN BOLT !!! now mind you this is being done with a Tbar not a torque wrench.
We called the shop and let them know what we found and that I would be in early Monday because I have a speaking job at noon !
Hopefully, they have the part and secondly, they have enough to change out ALL 5 bolts.
Marshall has wheel back on and there is enough bite on the broken bolt to get 2 turns. But this one was sheered off as well. I'm thinkin'

scary but true.
all I can say is, keep an eye on your wheel studs !!!

curtsy
Elle'

This is Marshall Posting

Like my wife said, we removed the rim cover, and found the lug nut with the sheard off wheel stud still in the threads of the nut.

I try our local tire shop, he says he can not get to it till monday, I call the Chevy dealer where we got our HHR, they can't get to it today either. I call our closest Chevy Dealer "Weseloh and Sons Chevrolet" they can get to it if we can bring it in RIGHT NOW, we did.

The Chevy dealer fixes the wheel stud, we get home and we start on the other side. First image is the old disk, second is the new disk.

OK, now to the driver side, pull off the rim cover, start removing the lug nuts, I start to turn the second lug nut, and it falls off with the broken stud inside it. Its now almost 4pm, so I call the dealer and tell them I will be in Monday to fix a broken stud on the drivers side. I then went ahead and installed the Slotted Disks and re-mounted the wheel using the 4 lug nuts, and found that there were enough threads on the broken stud to get about 2 turns of the lug nut.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:30 PM

Are those factory wheels? I had a similar problem to that on a 73 Chevelle I had in the 80's. It had a set of Cragar super sport mags on it and they were the universal mount type. There was flexing that occurred under driving conditions that weakened and eventually caused the bolts to shear. One time catastrophically requiring installation of a new rearend. I put a set of stock rally wheels on the car and never had a problem again.
Kevin
Old 06-28-2008, 09:38 PM

I have heard people complaining about this on cobaltss.net
Old 06-29-2008, 10:02 AM

Yikes. That's why I use a torque wrench on mine.

On a side note, what rotors are those?
Old 06-29-2008, 10:44 AM

Properly designed wheels and correct lug nuts should make this a non-issue.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:45 AM

That sucks!
Old 06-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by kornellred
Properly designed wheels and correct lug nuts should make this a non-issue.
Maybe it is !!! Don't remember anyone else mentioning this problem, on the HHr.

Actually, GM Failure Analysis people would love to get both ends of those broken studs. But it sounds like a "one-of" situation or poor aftermarket install (still worth investigation, however).
Old 06-29-2008, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Maybe it is !!! Don't remember anyone else mentioning this problem, on the HHr.

Actually, GM Failure Analysis people would love to get both ends of those broken studs. But it sounds like a "one-of" situation or poor aftermarket install (still worth investigation, however).
after market install was done by/at dealer before I purchased. I didnt choose them. But we have the ends and I'd like to see who put the wheels on at the dealer so they can retrieve them when I ... never mind.

needless to say I'm off to the dealer at 6:30am
curtsy
Elle'
Old 06-29-2008, 04:25 PM

GM probably sourcing the studs from China.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Black Rose
Yikes. That's why I use a torque wrench on mine.

On a side note, what rotors are those?
R1 Concepts.com

curtsy
E'

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: watch your wheel studs