Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Water droplets from vents with blower on

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
You could, but it would be easier to just open the hood and look for the rubber tube hanging out of the firewall on the passenger side.

Is that a HHR photo? I did open the hood but its sort of cramped up there and did not really see anything like that. Maybe I was looking right at it but did not see it. The firewall seems to be almost vertical not horizontal, that photo looks like its under the car pointing down. Maybe its just the photo angle.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:54 PM
Technical Moderator

That is from the top. The small tube is a brake line that may have some insulation on it and the reddish thing under the bit of insulation is the exhaust pipe. The tube may not stick out that far, I think the pic is after a repair involving pulling it out a bit.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:12 PM

That is from the top. The small tube is a brake line that may have some insulation on it and the reddish thing under the bit of insulation is the exhaust pipe. The tube may not stick out that far, I think the pic is after a repair involving pulling it out a bit.
I have one hydraulic floor jack. I am thinking if I can get to it from the top or maybe if I take off one tire I could see it better. I have a portable batter tire compressor, not quite as strong as a shop air tank compressor but might be enough.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:21 PM
Technical Moderator

The air cleaner does come off for a better view..
Old 09-18-2018, 03:39 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by BobbyJ1
I have one hydraulic floor jack. I am thinking if I can get to it from the top or maybe if I take off one tire I could see it better. I have a portable batter tire compressor, not quite as strong as a shop air tank compressor but might be enough.
Before using air, try poking a piece of wire or small screwdriver into the drain hose. Wiggle it around to dislodge any blockage.
Blowing air in the drain would be the 2nd option since blowing "into" the drain usually pushes the blockage back into the evaporator pan.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Before using air, try poking a piece of wire or small screwdriver into the drain hose. Wiggle it around to dislodge any blockage.
Blowing air in the drain would be the 2nd option since blowing "into" the drain usually pushes the blockage back into the evaporator pan.
Thanks for the tip, ill try that. So pulling the air filter is easier than pulling off the tire I hope. Wish they would put that damn hose in a easy location. It probably is easy if you have a garage lift.

I'm thinking maybe my portable wet/dry shop vac could maybe suck the blockage out.
Old 09-18-2018, 03:56 PM
Technical Moderator

You seem to be trying to make things as difficult as possible. Who changes your air filter?

Just grasp the rubber end that disappears into the frender and pull it out, loosen the screw on the rubber hose at the throttle body. Then put a lot of effort into pulling the box straight up off of the 3 rubber grommets holding it.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:48 PM

You seem to be trying to make things as difficult as possible. Who changes your air filter?

Just grasp the rubber end that disappears into the frender and pull it out, loosen the screw on the rubber hose at the throttle body. Then put a lot of effort into pulling the box straight up off of the 3 rubber grommets holding it.
I fixed it!!!!

Sorry Don but I did not know where it was located and the car was not at home to look. While I was waiting I figured I ask here, whats wrong with asking before I have to go out and
1. Jack up a car
2. Remove air filter etc.

There were no good photos of where this was. Once you do it its easy but the photos and people descriptions made it look like it was under the car, people even jack it up.
Because of peoples answers I did not have to waste time jacking up the car or even removing the air filter.

Its directly behind the air filter like 1-2 feet down. I was able to reach my left arm down and find the tube.
I ran a piece of 6" zip tie up it but nothing. Probably would need a long 12" piece. Zip ties work well as they bend around the corners easier than a coat hanger.

I took my small 2 gallon shop vac and pressed the tube around the ac exit tube and turned it on. About a half gallon came out and it seems fixed now.

Yea I've changed brakes, air filters, transmissions but never messed with AC. This was my kids car not mine never seen a HHR before.

Anyway thanks for the all the help!

For people that are not familiar on where to find the HHR AC drain I took a reference photo from under the hood on the passenger side of the car.
It looks tight but you can snake your left arm under the hood shock and down to the drain without removing the air filter. Takes like 2 minutes once you find it.

Last edited by BobbyJ1; 09-18-2018 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

Good fix. Glad it worked out in the end. and thanks for the pictures - they will probably help someone else out down the road.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Great fix!! I noticed the right photo is almost identical to the picture Don posted.

now go and enjoy a cruise!

Quick Reply: Water droplets from vents with blower on