Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Water on floorboard

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 04:09 AM

Water on floorboard

I just purchased a 2008 HHR. Love it, but we are having torential rains in Atlanta, GA this week. Got in the car the other day and found a puddle about 1/4 inch deep on driver floorboard. It all seems to be up against the door (the deepest amt.) After getting it all out, more showed up after another heavy downpour.

There is no evidence of water under the rug toward wall well/pedals, no evidence of leaking around door..everything seems dry, except against door well..as if it is coming from under body when driving (?). Left car in driveway after clean-up and another down pour. Water again same spot. So driving/under body not the issue.

A search here shows this a cronic problem, but more on passenger side, which in my case is perfectly dry.

Today, I am experimenting. I have a plastic sheet covering the windshield. I am trying to pinpoint the trouble. If dry after todays rain, I know where NOT to look.

Any suggestions???
Old 09-22-2009, 05:37 AM

Take it to the dealer!!!!!

I would have to guess it is still under warranty and let them do the work.

Not sure where it is but I have see a few others with same issue on the driver side so you are not alone. Might want to dig deeper as it should be posted yet here.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:44 AM
jx3

Sorry to hear that your first post here is about a problem w/ your HHR.

The following thread may help. Possible culprits may be the wiring boot in the driver's door or maybe a sunroof drain tube is clogged (don't know if it's applicable to your HHR).

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/problems-service-repairs-42/gallons-water-my-hhr-18093/
Old 09-22-2009, 04:15 PM

I had the same problem, it was the seal on the rubber wiring boot. Its a black rubber boot you can see when you open the drivers door and look forward. The dealer simply used some water seal on the boot to ensure it didnt channel water into the car. Wasnt GA recently suffering from an extended drought?
Old 09-22-2009, 09:24 PM

Check to see if you cabin air filter is wet.. If it is then you problem is just above it.. The cowling cover at the base of the wind shield, directly under the windsheild wiper..You need to remove that cowling and under that, just below the passenger side wiper is a seal thay may have failed. If you remove that seal you can see right down into the cabin filter.. Take it to a dealer if you can't do it and make them look under there. That maybe your problem ...Jeff
Old 09-24-2009, 04:18 AM

Thanks to all replies..after two weeks of rain, 12 inches in 48 hours..unbelievable...at least it ended a 2 year drought

I will bring it to a local dealer. It is under warranty, purchased from CarMax with only 6500 miles on it (now iIsee why). Still plenty of waaranty time on it...CarMax is willing to look at it, but I sense that is all they will do.
A Chevy dealer is my prefered choice, since I feel they may be better prepared to tackle the issue.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:51 PM

[QUOTE=Gcort49;413733]I just purchased a 2008 HHR. Love it, but we are having torential rains in Atlanta, GA this week. Got in the car the other day and found a puddle about 1/4 inch deep on driver floorboard. It all seems to be up against the door (the deepest amt.) After getting it all out, more showed up after another heavy downpour.

WOW this is still a problem--I have an 06 with the same problem. I make sure I park with the front of the car on a downhill slope(when I can). I back into my driveway when expecting rain and it works.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:27 PM

ChevyMGR -- Any Recalls with this??
Old 09-29-2009, 11:42 PM
Platinum Member

Hope you get this fixed under warranty..

It's good you spotted it & are taking action.

This type of thing is not limited to some random HHRs'

My Bro-n-Law just bought a new Jeep Commander, had some heavy rain & later him & my Sister were going out in it. My Sis Jumps in & floor is bout 1/4" deep with water (above the carpet)

So back to his local Dealer to find the leak....
Old 09-30-2009, 07:15 AM

i had the same problem. it was the little boot going to the door. it still leaked and took it back. they then found that the drain up in the sun roof was clodded. they fixed that and have not had any more problems.

Quick Reply: Water on floorboard