Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Well it happened, brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 08:45 AM

Well it happened, brakes

Last week some idiot pulled out in front of me on a 4 lane highway. I was running about 60-65 and had to stand on the brakes. Traffic prevented me from changing lanes. No lockup or anything, but needless to say they got heated up good. After, I noticed a little shimmy in the front on braking. Crap. This past weekend, I went ahead and did a over due tire rotation, cleaned the inside of the wheels and retorqued to 100 ft/lbs. Drove in yesterday and it seemed to be fine. On the way home yesterday, had to hit the brakes somewhat hard again (gotta love Atanta traffic) and noticed the shimmey at high speed braking. So I know the rotors got it. I'm at 42k miles, but thinking just replace them verses turning. What they will remove turning, might take them past tolerance, or make it close. I do not want any crossdrilled crap, but looking to see if PowerSlot still sells them for the HHR. I looked on their website and don't see any listed for the HHR anymore. Anyone know of anyplace that might still have some? I know PowerSlot used to carry them.

If not, other than EBC, other options? With the 18's, I wish I could find a big brake upgrade. With the Cobalt wheels, you can't hardly see the rotors...
Old 11-10-2009, 10:24 AM

I got the R1 Concept blank oem premium rotors and i love them. also got the posi quiet pads. I think they stop better than the EBCs. Got a good deal to i talked to the vendor over at CSS.net, they guy is really nice and gave me a good deal. Its not a vendor or R1 either its directly from them.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by chadpuska
I got the R1 Concept blank oem premium rotors and i love them. also got the posi quiet pads. I think they stop better than the EBCs. Got a good deal to i talked to the vendor over at CSS.net, they guy is really nice and gave me a good deal. Its not a vendor or R1 either its directly from them.
I saw some on theirs on EBay, but going through CSS it's a little cheaper. With the free shipping on orders over $150, might as well go with the Premium. It's an option.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:20 PM

Jamming on the brakes in a panic situation was not the cause of the problem. Its from a build up of material deposited by the cheap pads over time that's the cause of the vibration. Shame you're out of warranty, they'd cut them a put new pads on if you were.

Try the "premium" level of rotors and pads from NAPA. I've always been pleased with them, and just replaced my brakes on the HHR with these as well.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Doc brown
Jamming on the brakes in a panic situation was not the cause of the problem. Its from a build up of material deposited by the cheap pads over time that's the cause of the vibration. Shame you're out of warranty, they'd cut them a put new pads on if you were.

Try the "premium" level of rotors and pads from NAPA. I've always been pleased with them, and just replaced my brakes on the HHR with these as well.
While that's true, When I had it all apart Sunday with the rotation, I was very pleased on how clean it all was. Sudden cooking of the rotors will warp them instantly also. But I'm sure some buildup didn't help.

What is the material of the pads at NAPA? I'll definately stick with ceramic. And will not use Bendix.....
Old 11-10-2009, 04:03 PM

Yeah, I think I'm going to get R1 Concepts once my rotors go bad again. Just about 2 weeks ago I had the steering wheel shake like crazy when I hit the brakes going 60....but I haven't had it happen since. Guess I'm off the hook for now.
Old 11-10-2009, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by solman98
What is the material of the pads at NAPA? I'll definately stick with ceramic. And will not use Bendix.....
Ceramic. I don't think they even carry semi-metallic for the HHR.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:26 PM

Go for R1s for real!! they are cheaper than Napa and they are coated with ZINC against rust, Which when i checked NAPAs they werent.
Old 11-14-2009, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by solman98
While that's true, When I had it all apart Sunday with the rotation, I was very pleased on how clean it all was. Sudden cooking of the rotors will warp them instantly also. But I'm sure some buildup didn't help.

Sudden cooking on the brakes will not warp them. If that was the case ever race car in the world with red hot rotors would not make half a race with out a warped rotor.

Doc gave you accurate info. It is material bonded to the rotor after a hard stop.

Get a good quality pad and you should be fine.

the fancy rotors are just that fancy they will not fix the grabbing issue. They do not cool faster and only have less metal that gives you less of a heat sink to transfer heat.

Read willwood, Baer, EBC and any other quality brake pad or MFG and they will back this up. Heat transfer fromt the pads is the key to good brakes.

Now if you want the fancy rotors for look then buy them.

I have wenched on cars for years and today I work for 15 years in the racing aftermarket. When you have the founder of EBC brakes tell you face to face the drilled and dimpled rotors are cosmetic and he only offeres them because they make money that should tell you something.

Rotors warp because they are over torqued. Nothing more.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:45 AM

I just had my brake wobble worked on last week.I'd believe it was the material buildup causing problems because my rotors were only .003" out of true and that wouldn't have caused the big wobble I felt while braking at freeway speeds or the wobble while at a steady 35-40 m.p.h. in 5th gear.I got the rotors turned,the new,larger shields and the new style pad set.

Quick Reply: Well it happened, brakes