Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

What killed your HHR and at what mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 09:05 PM

What killed your HHR and at what mileage?

Curious to see what killed your HHR/made it stop working forever/forced you to get a new car because it was too expensive to fix, or however you want to interpret the question. And at what mileage?

I have 211k on mine, I’ve seen much much higher and I do everything I can, but I’m just interested to see what disasters could (hopefully not) be in my future.

Also I’m sorry if this is a repost, I did a quick search and didn’t see anything, but I would also be interested in links to similar posts so I can look at the answers. :) Also partly inspired by the “high mileage club” post.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:16 PM
Platinum Member

Most of the members that had a HHR "die", don't come back to this forum. If they no longer have the HHR then no need for ChevyHHR.net.
You may not get many responses.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:50 PM

I thought of that too but I figured it’s worth a shot. I know oldblue sold his famous hhr and he still hangs around here but I think he is a moderator or something
Old 09-23-2020, 09:54 PM
Platinum Member

Yes Oldblue is the Admin, & he has a newer 2LT HHR...

There are several long time members that have moved on in rides to something different, but still stop by & post once in a while..But IIRC their HHRs did not die..
Old 09-23-2020, 10:26 PM

Yes, if their HHR "died", they usually curse GM up and down, because they don't guarantee that their cars will be problem free forever. Then they don't come back.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:08 AM
Administrator

My 2007 2.2 LS was Sold at almost 400,000 miles, and the new owner loves that one, she still drives it daily.
my 2011 2.4 2LT is performing very well, I have performed maintenance work , replaced the front and rear brakes, timing/balance shaft chains, the fuel lines and the lower control arms along with Struts and shocks, at 120,000 miles, so it should last another decade or more.
Old 09-24-2020, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
My 2007 2.2 LS was Sold at almost 400,000 miles, and the new owner loves that one, she still drives it daily.
my 2011 2.4 2LT is performing very well, I have performed maintenance work , replaced the front and rear brakes, timing/balance shaft chains, the fuel lines and the lower control arms along with Struts and shocks, at 120,000 miles, so it should last another decade or more.
Wow didn’t expect to actually get you on the thread! Thanks for chiming in. I think you guys are right though, got on to check this thread this morning and not really getting responses. Oh well
Old 09-24-2020, 01:32 PM
Administrator

At just over 26,000 posts since October 13, 2011, I pretty much respond to everyone. Most common thing that kills an HHR is

A: owners not performing preventive maintenance
B: they ignore the signs of a ready to fail parts, then take it to a dealership or nationwide chain repair shop, get misdiagnosed for the problem and way over charged to fix it.
C: the above problem is so expensive, they sell or trade in the HHR.

like any other piece of tin rolling around out there , the all have parts that wear out! Like rubber control arm bushings, brake pads and rotors, struts , shocks, occasionally a fuel pump.
They have places where corrosion is common and the tin worm starts to eat the fuel lines, over the rear wheel openings.

But most of these common problems are easily avoided by preventing the problem!
Change the oil every 3 to 6 months or at 30 to 40 percent oil life
Change that Dexcool religiously every 5 years, it has a shelf, so change it!
use common sense diagnosing a problem, it’s most likely something that was common back in the day, but things have changed, it’s a whole new ball game when it comes to HHR’s.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:46 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by RJ_RS_SS_350
Yes, if their HHR "died", they usually curse GM up and down, because they don't guarantee that their cars will be problem free forever. Then they don't come back.
RJ- Yep there have been a few do that.

Originally Posted by 11_madi_11
Wow didn’t expect to actually get you on the thread! Thanks for chiming in. I think you guys are right though, got on to check this thread this morning and not really getting responses. Oh well
11_madi_11- if you are not getting replies to your inbox, check your settings in your profile & click to receive replies..

Originally Posted by Oldblue
At just over 26,000 posts since October 13, 2011, I pretty much respond to everyone. Most common thing that kills an HHR is

A: owners not performing preventive maintenance
B: they ignore the signs of a ready to fail parts, then take it to a dealership or nationwide chain repair shop, get misdiagnosed for the problem and way over charged to fix it.
C: the above problem is so expensive, they sell or trade in the HHR.

like any other piece of tin rolling around out there , the all have parts that wear out! Like rubber control arm bushings, brake pads and rotors, struts , shocks, occasionally a fuel pump.
They have places where corrosion is common and the tin worm starts to eat the fuel lines, over the rear wheel openings.

But most of these common problems are easily avoided by preventing the problem!
Change the oil every 3 to 6 months or at 30 to 40 percent oil life
Change that Dexcool religiously every 5 years, it has a shelf, so change it!
use common sense diagnosing a problem, it’s most likely something that was common back in the day, but things have changed, it’s a whole new ball game when it comes to HHR’s.
What Blue said...................
Old 09-25-2020, 08:58 AM

Well it only gives me one reply to the thread and then at the bottom of the email it says “There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.” Copy and pasted. Which is fine with me, I can visit the site and check the thread. It’s a nice tradeoff so my inbox won’t get overfilled! :)

You guys are great, thanks for all the responses! And thanks for all the tips OldBlue! That was really the goal of my post I think, hearing things to watch out for.

Quick Reply: What killed your HHR and at what mileage?