Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Wheel Hop On Wet Pavement

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 06:14 PM

Wheel Hop On Wet Pavement

I'm loving my 2007 LS which I have had for a whole week now and driven a whopping total of 193 miles. It is equipped with the Getrag 5-speed manual transmission. It's got a great feel to it, although some have complained about the shift gating from 1st to 2nd gear.

I have driven the new HHR in the rain twice now. Once on each occasion, I was overly generous with the accelerator pedal after shifting into 2nd gear and the drive wheels started hopping (can't be sure but it sounded like the passenger side wheel in both instances). Of course, I backed off on the accelerator pedal and things returned to normal immediately.

Now - it was not necessary for me to apply so much throttle each of the two times it happened, but by no means was I overdoing it. I have had many stick shift cars in the 41 years that I have had a license, and cannot recall ever having experienced wheel hop before - wheelspin, oh yes, many times, but not hop.

Soft motor mounts are often pointed to as the culprits that start the
oscillations leading to wheel hop, especially on FWD vehicles. Anybody know of any issues or TSB's concerning the HHR's motor mounts?

You can bet that I will be taking it extra easy when accelerating on wet surfaces from now on....

Willie R.
Old 08-20-2007, 06:06 AM

I've had my 07 LS 5 speed for just over two weeks now and yesterday was the first time I'd driven it in the rain. I haven't notice the wheel hop but I'm still babying it right now :)
Old 08-20-2007, 06:56 AM

Mine wheel hope like crazy. I am looking into motor mounts, and polyurethane bushings. Also Ingalls makes a engine dampener that is also suppose to help.
I made a thread a little while back on this exact same subject.