Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

WTF is up with getting parts.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 05:46 PM

WTF is up with getting parts.....

Wifes car goes in the shop Monday for a simple part. Just need the ignition cylinder. It is still sitting in the shop and none of the 1000+ dealers in the US supposedly have this part. I have owned the car for less than a month and it has now spent 1 week in the shop. They are saying the part is SUPPOSE to ship on Monday. I have owned Fords and Dodges and have never had to wait a week for a part much less a simple part like this.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:35 PM

Chrysler is having the same issue. Parts are becoming on national back order then it trickles to auto part stores being that most share the same parts manufacture. It is part of the new auto manufacture industry to cut waste and cost.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:48 PM

I had a turbo go out on my 2007.5 Dodge 2500 and it didnt took 2 days to get the part. There is a TSB on this exact issue. You think they would have more parts on standby knowing that it is enough of an issue to have a TSB.

Rex
Old 08-21-2009, 07:48 PM

Every make and model, regardless of mfg, has these problems.

Each and every part on a car has a 'life span.' It's all about the numbers. They make X numbers of parts based on the projected longevity.

You get a part that goes bad prematurely according to it's designed life span and there can be trouble getting said part.
Old 08-21-2009, 08:09 PM

Ya but I am waiting on a wiring harness for my '09 SS for a week. The dealer told me today that gm said they would have to wait for one made and it wouldn't be until October. BS I aint waiting that long cuz the dealership busted a pin in the wiring harness. Robots make these parts at houndreds a week if not a day.

I think it has to do w/ the bankruptcy. No one was going to send gm parts on credit while they where in bankruptcy, they had to have cash to purchase. And although they are out they are probably behind on parts and who is going to what to give a crap ton of credit to a company just comingout of bankruptcy.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:11 AM
Platinum Member

Actually 09SS you are part correct and part wrong, from what I am told.

Even though Obama and his "Czars" are telling everyone they do not want to interfere with the daily operation of GM.....they must give their approval on expeditures over a predetermined amount. The Czars say, with this requirement, they can protect the citizens investment in GM. Therefore on every major part order, GM must submit costs to someone in the Government. You know our federal government is very efficient....right?

SO MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, your complaint should be issued to the President.....not GM.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by Snoopy
Actually 09SS you are part correct and part wrong, from what I am told.

Even though Obama and his "Czars" are telling everyone they do not want to interfere with the daily operation of GM.....they must give their approval on expeditures over a predetermined amount. The Czars say, with this requirement, they can protect the citizens investment in GM. Therefore on every major part order, GM must submit costs to someone in the Government. You know our federal government is very efficient....right?

SO MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, your complaint should be issued to the President.....not GM.
ya but one of his cronies will erase it before he sees it. However he did say during the whole bankruptcy not to worry that your warrenties would be honored. What obama failed to mention is it would take 6 months to fix anything under warrenty

Also on a side note I heard that Chrysler is no longer doing lifetime powertrain warrenties it is now 5 years/100k. Apperently gov. officials did surveys ect. and found that people wanted the 5yr/100k. True storyfrom what I am told. so apperently people according to the gov. prefer a 5yr over life time. lol
Old 08-22-2009, 02:55 PM

it doesnt help that GM is closing some parts distribution centers as part of the restructuring, the one here in Jax is one of those that are closing
Old 08-23-2009, 02:16 PM

My guess is parts for GM and Chrysler products will be harder than usual to get for some time, mainly because so many contracted parts manufactures were not paid as a result of the BK's, and are either gun shy to ship now, or were forced out of business.

Even before GM's BK, I had problems getting some crash parts replacements for my HHR. The story I was given at the time, was because the car was still in production, parts were shipped to assembly plants first, and only when there were surplus parts could the dealers and body shops get them. Regardless I waited three weeks for a rocker panel, and a couple of other parts.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:19 PM

Cool

I tried to get a new brake pedal cover for my 2008 HHR LT....not available!!!!

Quick Reply: WTF is up with getting parts.....