Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Yep Plastic just blowing up!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 06:45 PM

Welcome & don't worry-you will enjoy your ride!

Buy the way. I am going out on a limb here & might jinx myself but-

I HAVE NO ISSUES WITH MY HHR!

See, that didn't hurt. Now you others who never post on how good your HHR is-give it a shot.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by likedthelook
Hi all new here. Just bought a used 2009 2LT with 43k on it. Was a rental and like a fool I bought it.

I like the look and thought I did my research before I laid down 13k for this but I never found this forum until I already owned it.

After reading here I am scared as hell. Many of the problems being discussed here I have too! How is it possible a car company can keep selling something so flawed?

Now I had my vent time I will post my question.

I have not had a passenger in the car much and when I did the seatbelt would lock and it would not pull out. After hours of online searching I found the service bulletin (here actually) dealing with this exact same problem. It says release height adjuster push down and reset to your height.
Yes that did release it but it would lock everytime. It cant be expected an owner should do the method stated above to use the seatbelt each and every time.
Cutting to the chase after several of these release procedures the plastic button that releases the height adjuster exploded and now its non functional.
I again searched and could not find anything. I called the dealer today and as expected I have to replace the entire adjuster $49 for a 5 cent cheap plastic button. Like the door handle I read about.

Does anyone know if this button can be had any other way?

I know $49 is way cheap comparing to many of the repairs many have to deal with but I also have many of the big ones needed addressed too. I have the balance of the 5/100000 mile warranty but most issues are not covered.

I have the noise in the right front when cold (the rubbing sound, squeaky, clunk. Yeah all three. The dealer replaced the calipers and rotors and wheel bearings before I bought it so I know it has the brake problems I read about.

I keep seeing more little dents on the body all the time but the car is parked in my driveway most the time as I do not use the car much.
I have the lock issue on the rear back door.

The front seat cover on the rear bottom is off (service bulletin for that too) it says to drill holes in the cover and wire tie to seat spring. Says the clips cant hold the tension.

This is my first Chevy and will be the last for sure.

But I like the look!
13K seems steep for a vehicle with 43,000 miles. I paid 18K brand new. I assume you got a warranty at that price and even if you didn't, the seat belt is a safety item that likely had to be certified as operable to sell the vehicle. The seat belt retractor is likely used in other GM vehicles and should be available from a salvage yard. Many vehicles seldom have a passenger so the belts are usually in good shape.

I have 60K on my 2006 with everything original including the brakes. My only problems have been with the remote start and the rear emblem.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:36 PM
Premium Member

Me too I'm lovin it ! ixna on the jinx
Old 02-23-2011, 08:59 PM

Im a truck guy but when gas prices went up a car with more fuel mileage was in order. I love the look of the hhr and I still have people come up to me in parking lots and comment on what a cool looking car it is. I have had some small issues but no more than any other car I have owned. I plan on keeping the car forever Im only sad that they are going to be discountinued them soon.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:20 AM

I am sorry...I was trying to post a response to answer the questions and comments from all but after typing for almost 30 minutes when I hit preview it brought me to the sign in screen (was already signed in) and all I typed was in the clouds.
So for sanity sake I won't try it again but did want to respond to everyone and thank them for the posts. I will retry what I typed later when I forget all the time I just wasted when it puffed and disappeared.

Thanks for the response all.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:25 AM

Don't ya hate that when it happens......
Old 02-24-2011, 07:36 AM

Hate to break it to you, but you have no one to blame but you. You can test drive cars you know. A THOROUGH inspection would have spotted every single one of these problems. Besides, remember, the car is USED. You don't personally know the previous owner, for all you know it some somebody like ME who treat it like a 4 wheel drive truck.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:25 PM

I don't think I would ever knowingly buy a former rental car. We all know how they are treated. I also have had no problems with my 09 LS @17,700 miles. I still love driving it as much as the first day I picked it up in July of 2009. This is the best place to ask how to fix any problem with your HHR as everyone here is very helpful.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:27 PM

my 2006 2lt

I just turned 49,000 miles, have changed the links with the Moog with grease fittings, changed the bushings poly with grease fittings, changed the VVT solenoids, runs great just got the KNB rear shocks will get installed next week dont know if I really need to replace but with the miles thought it was a good idea will order the struts next month, these are minor things but love the HHr thanks to this web site as what was the best parts to get, many years ago got a new Pantera every month Ford Engr would come to L.A for a meeting with our Pantera club each month would advise changes on the Panters with updates to do.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:46 PM

The Forum name is "Problems/Service Issues" for HHR's. What do you think you will find here? If I have a problem someone else probably has had it as well. I'm glad they take the time to write their experience here and hopefully a solution as well!

Quick Reply: Yep Plastic just blowing up!