Problems/Service/Repairs If you have a problem with your HHR, want a tip on repairing or performing a particular service to you HHR here is the place to post!

Zero boost

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 04:55 PM

Zero boost

A couple mornings ago I made a U-turn in front of my house. As I came around in the dark I lightly scraped the underside of my front bumper area in front of the steer tire on the curb. The engine immediately stalled and on starting, the vacuum gauge went crazy and the engine would not idle. I waited a couple hours til it got light out and by then the engine started and idled but when driving the check engine light stayed on and the turbo produces zero boost. There is no visible damage, but the code reader shows a PO101. This tells me it may be an IAT, an MAF, or an MAP sensor. How can I tell which one or all should I replace? Also, what about this wastegate actuator I hear about? Isn't that located underneath where I could have damaged it?
Old 11-18-2015, 05:06 PM
Platinum Member

Sorry to say this but it sounds like you've damaged the intercooler. Most likely cracked the plastic end tank.

The wastegate is located behind the engine, up high on the exhaust near the firewall. Doubt that has anything to do with your problem.
Old 11-18-2015, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

Found one of my old pictures that shows the intercooler. The silver part is metal but the black ends(under those brackets) are plastic and can get broken.

Name:  SS bumper.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  60.9 KB
Old 11-18-2015, 05:20 PM
Administrator

I think FMG, nailed it!!
Old 11-20-2015, 10:54 AM

George, you are absolutely right. After reading your post all I had to do was raise the hood, look down at the IC, and I saw the bigass crack in the black plastic end piece. Since I have to replace the intercooler anyway, I should probably check out an aftermarket unit that may be a little more durable and possibly more efficient as well. Anybody recommend a decent one at a reasonable price?
Old 11-20-2015, 12:32 PM

You can get one from ZZP. Not sure how out fairs with the factory charge tubes. I had to modify the mounting brackets and locations to it to fit correctly. Good product though. I'd like to take a broken factory and weld in aluminum ends. What would you want for the busted one? I actually have another stock IC in the garage I'm not using at the moment. I'm also driving through new York on my way to Hamilton, Ontario. I'll be coming back through Sunday and I leave tonight. Let me know.

@FMG- did you paint the SS on the IC? If so, is there any trick or special paint to it? I would love to do that to the wifes. It was suppose to have the ZZP emblem but it came without. The SS would look much better anyways.
Old 11-22-2015, 10:37 AM

Thanks for the offer, Dbeluscak. I wish I had checked the forum sooner; you are probably in Canada getting ready to head home by now. If you so want to sell the stock one you have maybe we could still work something out. I'd really prefer to get the one from ZZP if I can. It looks very good and is actually about $100 less than the factory unit. First, though, I need to check with the Chevy dealer tomorrow to see if my extended warranty might cover it, but I think I already know the answer to that since I was essentially responsible for trashing the existing one. Incidentally, the broken one is really only worth the scrap value of the aluminum and shipping costs to me, so if you are interested in having one to experiment on maybe I could send you that one as a partial payment if I was to buy yours. Let me talk to the dealer first, though, and I'll get back to you.