Racing Discussion Race Track Victories - DRIVE RESPONSIBLY

Auto X/Circuit Racing?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 07:35 AM

Auto X/Circuit Racing?

Im looking to set up my LT for a little fun in Autocross and Circuit racing, wasnt sure if anyone here has done it before or had any pointers. I scrolled through this section of the forum and didnt notice anything on the subject. The big question would be what class does the HHR fall into?
Old 01-12-2014, 07:56 AM

Welcome to the site I myself do not know much about this but here is a thread that I found. You can find more by typing auto cross in the search box at the top of the page.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/racing-discussion-7/hhr-1st-autocross-23133/
Old 01-12-2014, 08:57 AM

Welcome! I've run mine once at autocross, and learned just how A_W_F_U_L my stock tires were at the end of their life. As a one-time class champion locally, I thought it would be fun. However, since my current car has less chassis mods and way more power than what I won with, I really was lost out there.

I ran D-stock with the SS (where the Cobalt Turbos were, though I know I have a weight penalty...). Check with whoever is running the event, but anything non-turbo is probably going to be H-stock. They should basically just let you go out and have fun the first time. If you kick everyone's tail, then they will help find you a different class. I say this as a former board member of a club that hosted these events, too. It should be about fun first, and if you do want to get serious, you're probably going to want something a bit more optimized for the sport - even if it's just a Cobalt...
Old 01-12-2014, 10:55 AM

Thank You guys!! i'll have some suspension mods coming soon, and minor performance also. Its still my daily but want to have some fun with it to. Should have bought an SS hahaha
Old 01-12-2014, 11:01 AM
Premium Member

You still can, no rules about how many you can have.....:) It just wouldn't be as much fun if I didn't drive the wagon.

It seems each club or sponsor have a little different rules, but they all have a novice class. Some have practice days, I am looking forward to doing some of those this year.

I've tried a few (10) different suspension set ups. My favorite on the LT is YYZ springs, KYB struts, and a hardcore bar. On the SS, KWv2 coilovers, hardcore bar. Both of these set ups have way better performance than I have skills.....

Of all the things you can do in an HHR...Autocross has been my favorite...
Old 01-13-2014, 09:06 AM

It sounds like it, and no one expects an HHR to do much so a couple wins would be awesome haha
Old 01-13-2014, 10:14 AM

Yeah, except that the damn Minis around here are so fast, they made me ill in DS... Every class has its "ringers" that are really hard to beat - all other factors being similar. I was way down on tires, and a bit on ability, and lost by about 3 seconds, which is a ton.

Maybe someday I'll be back, but I really want some dedicated summer tires first.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:44 PM

I'll be getting new wheels and tires by summer and on that set ill get good sticky tires for road coarse and ill throw a set of winter tires on the wheels i have now. Id like to do a brake upgrade to.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:03 PM
Premium Member

The Brembos are awesome.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:05 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Blue_SS
Yeah, except that the damn Minis around here are so fast, they made me ill in DS... Every class has its "ringers" that are really hard to beat - all other factors being similar. I was way down on tires, and a bit on ability, and lost by about 3 seconds, which is a ton.

Maybe someday I'll be back, but I really want some dedicated summer tires first.
The Mini your are referencing......

Wouldn't be a purplish Cooper Special with eyeballs on each front fender....driven by a "Brit" guy???

Quick Reply: Auto X/Circuit Racing?