General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR LS Swap Rat Rod

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by RattyHHR
My reasoning was radiator size, and ability to dissipate heat. A sbc in an enclosed engine compartment with exhaust manifolds requires x amount of radiator to cool. That same small block sitting in the open air with headers is much mire efficient at dissipating heat. The factory core in the radiator for my 305 in a 78 Chevy pickup measures 26"x17"x1.25". The HHR radiator measures 22"x18"x1". I assume 30 years of radiator technology would give the newer radiator better efficiency. My plan is to buy a new aluminum radiator from summit for about $150, and use the electric fan from the HHR. Figured I would get some opinions
Quickly looking, your stock radiator has a possibility of working being the engine is in an open air environment along with the trans. from what I can see of your install. Using electric fans with a shroud is what's going to cool it when driving it locally. On highway fans are not needed.
A remote trans cooler could be mounted away from the radiator also.
Just looking at a simple cubic foot measurement the 78 rad measures 553 and the HHR is 396.
If it was me, install the OEM and test when your ready to drive it. Running with the load of the vehicle is the best test.
Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-06-2017, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
Quickly looking, your stock radiator has a possibility of working being the engine is in an open air environment along with the trans. from what I can see of your install. Using electric fans with a shroud is what's going to cool it when driving it locally. On highway fans are not needed.
A remote trans cooler could be mounted away from the radiator also.
Just looking at a simple cubic foot measurement the 78 rad measures 553 and the HHR is 396.
If it was me, install the OEM and test when your ready to drive it. Running with the load of the vehicle is the best test.
Just my 2 cents.
Great info, thanks!! Bet y'all didnt know within all your HHR's lies the cooling fan of a hot rod Looks like HHR fans are a popular swap in the muscle mopar world.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59157.0
Old 11-06-2017, 11:15 AM

If your thinking of using a 700R4 trans with your Q-Jet your going to need an adapter setup for the TV cable. On the web of the main body of the carb will be a number.
Bowtie Overdrives
Old 11-06-2017, 11:58 AM

Can you install the steering column back in to see how close it might attach to the other steering shaft?
Or if it's there I can't see it.
Also it was a good choice to go with the shorty headers. Clearance isn't an issue now.
I did like the first choice you selected though.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
Can you install the steering column back in to see how close it might attach to the other steering shaft?
Or if it's there I can't see it.
Also it was a good choice to go with the shorty headers. Clearance isn't an issue now.
I did like the first choice you selected though.
I need about 13". I left the long part of the steering shaft on the cradle when I took it back to HeavenlyHotRod. But it looks like a piece of 3/4" square tubing fits perferctly in the camaro knuckle. I can still a hole in the tube and bolt it in no problem. Then I'll just use some 1/4" scrap to make a male connection that will fit into the HHR steering knuckle, then I bolt it up. I might have to shave a little of the steering opening to give me a good angle without fear of binding.
Old 11-06-2017, 01:51 PM

I need about 13". I left the long part of the steering shaft on the cradle when I took it back to HeavenlyHotRod. But it looks like a piece of 3/4" square tubing fits perferctly in the camaro knuckle. I can still a hole in the tube and bolt it in no problem. Then I'll just use some 1/4" scrap to make a male connection that will fit into the HHR steering knuckle, then I bolt it up. I might have to shave a little of the steering opening to give me a good angle without fear of binding.
OK you lost me with "taking it back to Heavenly Hot Rod".
What is the angle of the steering shaft out of the firewall to the Camaro steering box?
I believe it was recommended to go to Speedway Automotive.com before.
You can find U-Joints that couple/weld to straight shaft and use support bearings to hold the shaft assembly.
Don't know where you are going with the 3/4" tubing idea.
Did recommend the Jeep steering shaft to couple the box to column. That shaft will bolt up to the box and could be modified from there also.
Old 11-06-2017, 05:36 PM
Administrator

The outer steering yoke is dangling there under the master cylinder
Old 11-06-2017, 07:53 PM

Getting them acquainted

Worked on an HHR all morning, just not mine 😂🤣 Guy I'm doing the metal work for just bought an HHR for a company vehicle. Put struts and brakes on it this morning. I did get a chance to paint and clear my water pump and fuel pump (new parts from parts house). I'll put those on this evening. I'm thinking about starting work at the was crack of dawn tomorrow so I can get home early enough to drop the engine in. I'm pretty excited to see It sitting in there.

Here's some of the stuff I'm working on right now, so I can afford this build Handrails are 4x4 steel tubing, with the inner frames made of 1.5"x2.5" tubing. The open areas will be filled with some kind of fancy metal mesh. The frames will either be sandblasted and cleared, or powder coated and cleared. Don't think he's decided. Starting on the 2 entry gates this week. Excited to get started on them, they're gonna be slick.

Old 11-06-2017, 08:12 PM
Banned

when I'm dead u can say he was ""Heavenly Hot Rod"but for now and living its

HELLS HOT ROD ,,,, HHR, and if u need steering parts just call or come by happy2help
Old 11-07-2017, 03:05 AM

Looks like thicker tubing on that handrail than on your car.

Quick Reply: HHR LS Swap Rat Rod