General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR LS Swap Rat Rod

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
???
Ratty has the TV cable that came with the trans.
Also I've have researched and have very good feeling the Q-Jet he is using came from a 90-92 Caddy just by the secondary choke pull off on it. That means the engine had a 200R4 in it.
The geometry of the levers on the primary plates is correct for that cable.
He talks about his throttle cable problem. If that is his throttle cable it's in the wrong place. The TV cable goes there.
It would be nice if he could post the number off the carb so I can back up my claim.
I have sent him PM's about this but no answers.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:36 PM
Administrator

I was responding to you in post 249
Old 12-10-2017, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
Got a bracket for my tv cable / throttle cable. It was maden for a Holley so I need to adjust it. It doesn't let me open full throttle with it adjusted all the way out. I'm guessing I need to drill a hole about an inch back to allow me to adjust it and still have some room.

Jegs, TCI and Summit sell the bracket for a Q-Jet.
What did the original throttle cable bracket look like that came with the engine?
I'm guessing the cable that is hooked up is the TV cable....
Unfortunately the throttle cable bracket had been robbed off the engine. I can make this bracket work. I'm just gonna cut it and re weld it where I need it. Thanks for the link Blue. Ill check it out. Finishing up the grill this morning. Gonna do a couple pieces coming out to protect the front tires from road debris and what not. Then I'll lift her up and figure out how I'm gonna build this frame section.

Old 12-16-2017, 04:29 PM

Been pretty busy with work this week, actually working today. Took a break to weld up my 3 link brackets. Chassis Unlimited makes some top notch parts.

Went and got the tubing yesterday for the trailing arms/panhard bar. 1.5" od / 1" id dom tubing. Talk about heavy duty. I don't think I'll ever have to worry about this rear end and suspension holding up. Heim joints are huge. 7/8" for the lower links, 3/4" for the upper and panhard.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:39 AM

Hey whats going on. Finally getting back at it on the HHR after the holidays. I spent some time figuring out exactly how I wanted to build the rear frame section. Im happy with what I came up with. I cut the floor just inside the formed frame sections in the rear, all the way up to where a rear seat would be in a non panel HHR. Underneath there is a nice flat section running across where the gas tank used to be. I came off the frame rails i built, and welded a section of frame snug against this part of the body, then bolted it to the body. That section is what these rear frame rails will attach to. Where I cut the floor out, i had to cut out the pinch welds and extra steel in my way, which left the sheet metal frame rail open. Welded that seam back up, then attached angle iron to that corner to help stiffen it up. My frame rails will be stitch welded to this angle, as well as bolted all the way through the factory formed frame rails. A 5" wide plate will then be run along the bottom of both frames and bolted/welded together.

Old 12-30-2017, 01:46 PM

That air cleaner is DA BOMB. Love it.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:17 PM
Administrator

A lot accomplished
Old 01-14-2018, 08:57 PM

Finally got to spend a whole weekend on the car. Rear end is almost finished. I need to weld the threaded tube ends into the bottom 2 trailing arms, then bolt them up. Then I can life the car and put in the coil springs and see how it all works.

Old 01-15-2018, 08:10 PM

So once I got the coil buckets tacked onto the axle, I sat the springs in, and let the 2x4 steel come down and compress the springs. Didn' use the top spring plates, didn't know it would effect the springs. So I dropped the car down and measured how much the springs compressed, and built my top spring perches to compensate so the car would sit where I want. Boy did those plates make all the difference Got everything put together and dropped down onto the springs. Looks like I'm cutting about 6" out of the perches, back end is gonna be effecting the weather pushing clouds around. But other than that everything looks like it' going to work out great. She's back on all fours and rolling again
Old 01-15-2018, 08:39 PM

Lookin great! I can't wait to see it under power

Quick Reply: HHR LS Swap Rat Rod