General HHR Discuss anything related to the Chevy HHR that doesnt seem to fit into the more specific categories below.

HHR LS Swap Rat Rod

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Always fun that first fire up! It’s alive!!!!
Old 02-03-2018, 05:59 PM

Thanks! I'm excited and relieved that it ran, and ran so well. I think I finally rounded up all the brake fittings and line I'm going to need. Auto Zone is the only place I could find with metric line fittings. Even had some nifty conversion pieces, one that I took advantage of. I'll get started on the brakes this evening. Won't be long before we're making test runs.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:41 PM
Banned

it lives !!!!!!! good job,,,,,,, A++++++++++++++++++
Old 02-03-2018, 10:26 PM

This is so freakin' awesome. I can't wait to see it when you're done.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by livingfortomorrows
Thanks!! It should look pretty awesome once I get the headlights/buckets mounted, sheet metal around the grill, and mesh in the grill. I'll take all the wiring back off and get some nice wire covering to make everything look nice and clean. Won't be long and she'll be on the road!
Old 02-04-2018, 06:17 AM

Congrats
Old 02-04-2018, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by livingfortomorrows
I am more interested in HEARING it run, then seeing it run!
Old 02-04-2018, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Casa Del Gatos
I am more interested in HEARING it run, then seeing it run!
With the turndowns I'm hoping people are gonna feel it when I pull up Back when I had my Nova I ran long tubes, 24" of 2.5" pipe, flowmasters series 40's, 18" of 2.5" pipe past the muffler, and a 45* turndown that was angled out and back. When you did a burnout the exhaust would push the smoke from each tire and angle it out making huge clouds. Looked badass. Cool burnouts are definitely a requirement I'll have to find me a posi chunk for this 9", I think I'm wide open right now

Here's where I'm planning on turning the exhaust outside of the frame. I'l tuck it next to the frame, and put my turndown out about 6" in front of my lower trailing arm mount. I've got to run a piece of flat stock off of each mount up to the frame. 90* peice of steel just begging to snag on something. Still got a good amount of things to do, but it's' all coming together 😀

Old 02-05-2018, 12:18 PM

We've got brakes 😁 Everything bled nicely, got a good firm pedal. Ended up rebuilding the whole rear axle brake system. Wheel cylinders, shoes, hardware and springs, and turned the drums. Also was able to hook the factory HHR drum brake cable into the rear brakes. The HHR cable fit perfectly into the backing plate hole, and locked right into place. The HHR cable end had about 1/2" of excess cable past the end crimp. Had to cut that off for the parking brake lever to seat properly. Everything seems to be working properly, I'll keep my fingers crossed. Today my goal is to get my shifter cable hooked up.

Old 02-05-2018, 08:12 PM

Welded up a bracket to mount my shift cable, and a bracket to attach it to the transmission. Went to the hardware store and bought a 1" wide u bolt, and a an inch and 5/16 u bolt. Made a bracket that uses 2 transmission pan bolts, comes out an inch, and has a flat plate for the u bolts to clamp the cable down. Pretty simple, just took a little time. I had to shorten the bar coming down that the cable attaches to, swing was way to long. Cut it down and put the engine and transmission in the same gears to gauge where I needed to mount it. Got it pretty close. It goes through all the gears, but gets tight from Neutral to Drive. Ran out of daylight. Here's a few pictures, and a video of me starting it today. Fires up so fast and just idles.

Quick Reply: HHR LS Swap Rat Rod