Site Development, Help and Announcements Site Discussions, Suggestions, and Help

forum suggestion: custom worklog section?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 07:10 PM

forum suggestion: custom worklog section?

I'm a member of another forum that deals with peoples various rides and what they've done to them. Along with posting pictures, they have a section where people that have works in progress can post from start to finish what they've done and how they did it. They have set up a separate section of their forum which they call "Worklogs". As it seems that most of the people on this forum have customized their vehicles in one way or another, wether they did it themselves or paid someone to do it, I think it would be a great idea if there was a section here that people could post what they've done, or what they are doing in a formal setting. This would allow them to easily keep a detailed log of whats been going on with your stuff along with what other people are doing.

what do ya say? could the owners/moderators find it possible to add a section like this?? i think it would be a very valuable addition to this site ^_^ seings how its pretty much the only one of its kind for our vehicles still in operation
Old 02-22-2009, 09:24 PM

I agree 100%. I think a work log section is a good idea.

EDIT: Yes I should have used search :)
Old 02-22-2009, 09:40 PM

is this How to area close?
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-tutorial-library-21/
Old 02-23-2009, 08:54 AM

as well "How-to's" are great to have, its not exactly what i was talking about....

this is more along the lines of what i was getting at:

HHR Worklog

Seville STS worklog

that way there is a specific section that us "must make it our own way" people have a way to show off our work, progress and eventually finished products :)
Old 02-23-2009, 09:45 AM
Founding Member

Thanks for the suggestion. It's in admin for consideration.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:28 AM

right on!

i think once word got out with all the members, having a work log section would be a great addition and everyone would be able to see whats going on with anyones specific project...

different people run into different problems such as the "how-to: stock sterio removal" doesnt make any mention of (on an 09) the front bezel of how to get that bottom lip back in without taking apart the gear shifter bezel and ashtray/cupholder because the 12v power/cig lighter assembly hits the opening on disassembly/re-assembly

anyway :) thanks for considering this as an addition to the forums :)
Old 02-24-2009, 08:44 AM

So just to get a better understanding for the need of another forum section please explain what the difference would be between this new section and posting your progess in the audio/video forum or in the "how to" forum?
Old 02-24-2009, 09:57 AM

a worklog covers a single start to finish project that doesnt actually fit into just any single topic... its its own vehicle's progress from start to finish... covers body work, electrical, audio, engine work, anything custom to that vehicle... where as from what ive seen, the "how to" section covers some aspects of modifications relative to a general concensus of one persons perspective with people adding their findings after the initial post and becomes public

a worklog is more of a personal thing that say myself is working on that someone else may find interest in and might do themselves or it is something people look at and say "why would you do that... the poor vehicle" but either way... its something that i would like to share with anyone else doing modifications

for instance... i seen that someone did a modification to their HHR and converted the rear hatch to a barndoor style hinge setup... it would be great to see their work log from stock, the planning, the disassembly, the customizations they did to relative other components as they were doing it, and then finally the showroom finish

if people started throwing their worklogs into the "how-to" section, i think it would dillute the effectivness of the how to section, which btw, is quite nice to have... but its general bolt on knowledge, not someone like me hacking and slashing at this and that, which people may not be interrested in,

for instance, i plan on cutting a lot of the dashboard apart, for the general public, a "how-to" wouldnt be very good to write, as im doing very specific things, now a "how to" on dashboard disassembly would be a GREAT reference but i dont think my worklog should be a basis of that proceedure

people should be able to refer to a how-to for exactly what its posted for/as "how to change your stock springs" shouldnt include information about fender rolling or tubbing out wheel wells or changing brake calipers and rotors, if i make a worklog for my 09HHR im going to cover everything i do in a single thread~ tires,rims,audio,body work,customizations; everything is going to be in what i do in my thread so putting it in the how-to section i think would confuse a lot of people looking for simple solutions

maybe a worklog section would be a great subsection to the "howto" section ? but i really think it would flood an already great database of knowledge for people to refer to
Old 02-24-2009, 09:59 AM

Thanks I have posted this comment in the admin discussion.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:19 AM

That might make it easier for us to point someone to a thread as an answer to their question instead of searching around... "I know I saw that around here somewhere."