South East MS, AL, TN, GA, SC, NC, FL

North Carolina

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 09:08 AM

North Carolina

Ok I am about to either make the biggest mistake of my life or the greatest life change in my life. Well I have been in the black top driveway sealcoating business for 13 years. With that said I am now thinking about going to school in Mooresville NC for a speacific program school for building chassis for NASCAR. I figure i need something that isnt weather dependant since one year I get hardly any rain and have a GREAT year then a few more years in a row that rain is in almost every day forcasts. Well I am tired of one year living like a king then the next woundering if bills are going to get paid. I love my business ALOT but i need something that can give me a retirement. I am 31 and not getting any younger. My woman says she will stay here in NY till I get done with school then we sell the house and she move down to NC with me since 85% of NASCAR shops are here. It is a big thing for me to decide this since its just not about me any more.
Is there any one in here from around Mooresville?
Old 07-04-2006, 09:34 AM

Sounds exciting. You'll have to keep us informed on the school and where you end up. :twothumbs
Old 07-04-2006, 12:23 PM

Have you visited the SpeedTv forums? There are several NASCAR discussion groups over there and they are quite an informative bunch. They can be a little feisty sometimes...but for the most part they are a great group.

Here's a link to the NASCAR General Discussion board incase you don't have it.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:29 PM

Thanks I will def keep every one posted. Hey if I get a job with a great team I can do more to my HHR lol
Old 07-05-2006, 02:51 PM

Whats up,

I build Cup show cars for a company located in Winston-Salem, NC we build for all of your larger teams(Roush, RCR, DEI, Hendrick, Petty, and well as GM Creative services, Ford, Dodge and soon, Toyota). After being in this profession for a decade and a half, I feel the school is not to great, just my opinion. What the schools consist of are chassis builders that are (one) not building cup cars, but more of late madel type chassis. (two) students pay them who knows what and basically provide these builders with free labor while the students build chassis they will sell to customers. Again its just my opinion. Then theres something else you should know. If you go to work for a team as a fabricator(building chassis, or hanging bodys) fresh out of school, chances are you would not travel to races, maybe on a small team you would. Also the reason most teaqms are located in North Carolina, we here are know as the "Wright to work state" which means I can fired an employee today for no reason what so ever. I pay all my employees by the hour, we get good overtime during the off season I will work 120 hours on average.
Now the raceteams pay salary starting gross pay lets say is $600 a week, then they have what is called Japanese Overtime, which any hours over 40 you get paid the half. Let me try to explain, man makes $600 a week, we devide that out and determine he makes $15 an hour, now he works 68 hours one week, he would get his $600 plus $7.50 an hour for the remaining 28 hours.
Here we get time and a half for any over. The new kick now is the C.O.T.(Car of Tomorrow) and we will start building chassis here(strickly showcar chassis) within 3 months(depanding on NASCAR) we will know if we will hired 6 or more new people.

Now I have rambled alot here and it may by alot of info for you to take in. I see alot of young guys come here, see NASCAR and all it glamor and just have to do that job. I enjoy my weekends during the summer, I help a few people with their local track racecars. That is still fun for me, I try to avoid the Truck, Busch, or Cup races at all cost. Thats just me and my preferances.

I hope I havn't discorraged you in any way, I feel szomeone should be frank with you and tell you how all of it works in Race City USA.

Mark
tiny@jksmotorsports.com