South East MS, AL, TN, GA, SC, NC, FL

Questions About Florida

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2007, 02:58 PM

Questions About Florida

My oldest daughter Tanya has been offered a transfer with her job to move to Florida. The job is in Maitland and it sounds like she'll be living in Orlando. Anything you guys can tell me to make me feel better about this would be greatly appreciated. I want to know that my daughter, her husband and 3 of my grandchildren are making the right move.

Do any of you live near there and would be willing to help her learn her way around...where to go...where not to go? I'm probably worrying too much, but they have never lived away from Colorado.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:12 PM

Deb; I have lived in central FL. from 1975. Maitland is a nice place, out of the tourist strip but still close. A lot of good homes & apart. to rent or buy. Florida is not Colorado by a long short, but it's nice. Alot of traffic in and around. Has she been here yet. Where would she like to live in town out of city, country side like me? Have her email me or you can to ask ? about here.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:54 PM

Sent you an answer to your PM...but here's more info.

She's been to Disney World several times, so she's not a complete stranger to Florida. The biggest concern is getting into a house in a decent neighborhood that isn't going to cost them a fortune. Right now she lives about a 30 minute drive from work, so I'm sure she'd be willing to commute that far down there as well. They would like her to be there by June 11th so that doesn't give us much time to find a place for her to live either.

Can you also PM me your email address so I can give that to her as well?

Appreciate any feedback any other Florida people in the area can provide. I'm probably worrying way more than I should...but that's the mother in me coming out.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:27 PM

Im in Naples a little south from the big O , she should have fun their are alot of amusement parks up there!
Old 05-20-2007, 06:04 PM

She's now having 2nd thoughts about the whole deal and has contacted the union rep to see if she can retract her acceptance of the position. After carefully figuring out the cost to move and little difference in pay, she thinks she might just stay here. Should know more in a day or two.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:30 PM

Deb...I have been in East Orlando for 3 1/2 years now as a transplant from Michigan. If your daughter does decide to come here, I'd be glad to answer any questions you may have. My family and I like it here though the traffic, property taxes and homeowners insurance are bothersome (the latter two are being "addressed" by the state legislature so we'll see how it goes).

Pros-
- No state income tax
- Nice weather (if you don't mind humidity)
- Lots to do, rated as the best job market in the U.S.
- Housing sales have stalled so it's a buyers market
- You can watch the space shuttle launch from your yard
- 6th largest university in U.S. (University of Central Florida) - if she'd like to continue her education.
- Alligators

Cons-
- Messed up politics (way beyond the red/blue stuff)
- Traffic and tolls
- Mostly poor service by indifferent people
- Alligators
Old 05-20-2007, 07:21 PM

yep that about sums it up.....
Old 05-20-2007, 08:12 PM

Is also close to the world champs of the Little League or if it was the US champs, my mistake, anyhow they did a darn good job. Apopka
Old 05-20-2007, 08:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bdubsee
Cons-
- Messed up politics (way beyond the red/blue stuff)
You left bugs and poisonous snakes off the list. Annoying little lizards too. I hate nature! What is so messed up about Florida's politics?
Old 05-20-2007, 08:35 PM

You really left out one thing.............overbuilding. They have water woes for more reasons than drought.

Quick Reply: Questions About Florida