South Pacific CA, NV, HI

Anyone interested in going to an Airshow?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 09:21 PM

Wink Anyone interested in going to an Airshow?

The place is Edwards AFB and the airshow will be 17 October.
I've asked around a little just for the heck of it, and there is a possibility, that as a car club with a banner and such, we may be allowed to park on the flightline with the aircraft displays.
I still have to do some more checking on this. I have some names and numbers to reach.
The big problems that I can see right now, is that we would all have to be here in place in the early a.m. and Edwards is a hugh place with three main gates to enter. They are on the south, west and north ends of the base. It is so hugh that speed limits are 55 and 60 mph in some areas. So where to have us all meet and caravan to where we need to be would have to be decided on first. I do have a place in mind already. I'm thinking of meeting up just off the 14 freeway at the Ave I exit in the Cinemark 21 parking lot. From there we could either take the south or west entrances.
I have already fired off an e-mail to one contact, but I now have a couple of phone numbers also.
I will update as I get more info and some feedback as to who might want to come on up here.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:31 PM
Uma

Will see, sounds hot and dry LOL. could be a cool thing, no commitment yet,Todd (Uma)
Old 09-23-2009, 09:38 PM

Yes Todd, hot and dry is a possibility. I've been to some at EAFB when it was a 100 plus outside, but not always
Old 09-23-2009, 10:33 PM

Hmm...
The Edwards air show has always been one of my favorites. I'll give that one some thought.

Randy
Old 09-23-2009, 11:39 PM

Hm, I would LOVE to see it again. My daughter may be in town visiting unless her plans change. Oddly enough, she was born at Edwards and has never been allowed to see it since the ex and me left back in '76. I just dunno.
Old 09-24-2009, 03:53 AM

Angry Well, I got a response to my initial e-mail that I sent to the public affairs office

It don't look good. But, I still have the number for a Colonel that I can give a try.
Here is the e-mail response that I received.RE Feedback Air show parking permits for 'car clubs'.txt.
Basically, he's saying if we come, we will have to park on the lake-bed same as everyone else. He even suggests that we leave our pride and joy at home to not get it dirty. This guy doesn't have a clue.

Last edited by pappa_smurf; 09-24-2009 at 12:22 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by pappa_smurf
It don't look good. But, I still have the number for a Colonel that I can give a try.
Here is the e-mail response that I received.Attachment 5720.
Basically, he's saying if we come, we will have to park on the lake-bed same as everyone else. He even suggests that we leave our pride and joy at home to not get it dirty. This guy doesn't have clue.
Sounds like a pilot!!
Old 09-24-2009, 12:31 PM

Cool Well, I gave this guy another try,

I asked if there was any way that we could set up an HHR display out on the flight-line with 5-6 HHR's. I attached some photos and a copy of the Tom's Farm flier. I sent a shot of the Dragon-Slayer and my own glamor shot with the jets above along with a shot of last years G2G at Tom's and this years show at Castle. The last 2 to show the club banners, both NorCal and SoCal.
Still waiting. I threw in a couple of Colonel's names and a Major.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:51 AM

Red face Shot down again.

Okay, so no special treatment for us at all. I got the answer to my second request and it to was a negative. Sorry folks, if anyone still wants to come up here though and risk parking on the dry lake-bed with there shined up HHR's, we can still meet up.
Here is the reply I got;RE Request info on how to set up a display for the Air Show..txt.
I also found out that the South gate to the base will be closed to the general public for that day.
If anyone is still interested though you can find out more info at the base web-site; http://www.edwards.af.mil/, they have named the air show Flight Test Nation 2009.
The Army parachute demonstration team, the Golden Knights will be there and the air demonstration team 'Tora-Tora-Tora' will be the highlighters there with a large selection of static displays, including the F-22 and F-35 aircraft. They are even shining up and old SR-71 Blackbird for display.
I guess I should have done my research before getting any hopes up.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:59 PM

oh well, we'll save on gas this way...

Quick Reply: Anyone interested in going to an Airshow?