South Pacific CA, NV, HI

Coast Run??

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 12:49 PM

Coast Run??

****UPDATE****
The Coast Run is on! Below is a summary so you won't have to read through all of the pages...

DATES - September 8-10 (Actual Run up the coast is Saturday, Sept 9)
PLACE - Starting at San Simeon, CA. Going to Monterey, CA and back.
HOTEL - Courtesy Inn of San Simeon. (http://www.courtesyinns.com) 1-800-555-5773
RATE - $59/night. Say you are with the HHR group and we have rooms blocked to get the rate. Ask for Manesh.
FRIDAY DINNER - CAMBRIA, Main Street Grille, 7:30PM
SATURDAY LUNCH - MONTEREY, Bubba Gump's at The Cannery. Noon
SATURDAY DINNER - SAN SIMEON, Pacific Blue Bar & Grill, 7:30PM
SUNDAY - At leisure. We like to take a group for breakfast over the water in Morro Bay. Some may prefer Hearst Castle Tours. Depart for home any time.

It's always fun to set uo convoys on the way to a Run. Post here for possible convoy information. We'll be leaving Bakersfield about 4PM Friday afternoon. If anyone from the South wants to meet us on I-5, let us know. If North Central folks want to meet at James Dean Memorial, let us know. Other convoys?

------------------

I do a thing every year called the California Coast Run for my Fiero hobby. We are planning the 4th annual event right now. The run starts in San Simeon and we go up somewhere around Carmel/Monterey for lunch and then back down the coast for a dinner/raffle that night.

I was thinking about seeing if anyone wanted to do something similar for the HHRs. I just noticed that there is a plan for northern folks to come to Monterey in August... I'll throw this out there anyway and see if anyone is interested...

I have an agreement with a hotel in San Simeon for $59/night rooms for any of my events. The hotel is 3 miles south of Hearst Castle, about 7 miles north of Cambria, and about 20 miles north of Morro Bay.

We generally have convoys from different areas arriving in San Simeon on Friday night. There is a great BBQ place in Cambria where we have ribs that evening. We leave on the Run around 8AM and that puts us on the northern end around 11:30 where we meet up with Northern people for lunch. (Gump's is the best food up there in my opinion but they are hard on accepting groups.)

We generally leave around 1PM heading back and have stops at the Big Sur River Inn which is beautiful, and one more stop at the sea lion preserve. We get back to the hotel around 5PM. That gives everyone time to relax for a bit before we have dinner at 7PM followed by the raffle. I have had great luck over the past 4 years getting Fiero vendors involved. For the last two years I have had luck with others such as K&N, Addco, Hemmings, Summit, etc... All proceeds from the raffle go to St Jude's Children's Research Hospital.

Sunday morning we usually do Hearst Castle tours for anyone who is interested, followed by breakfast on the water in Morro Bay before the convoys heading out for the trip back home.

If anyone is interested in doing this, I will be happy to make all the preparations. I was thinking sometime in August/September. The drive up the coast on Highway 1 is about the most beautiful scenery in CA in my opinion. The trip is about 100 miles each way if you are going to Carmel. A bit more to Monterey.

Anyone interested or is this too close to the Northern Monterey run?

Last edited by Songman; 07-19-2006 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:40 PM
Founding Member

I'm in for September!
Old 07-10-2006, 12:48 AM

Anyone else? We can do it with just a couple of vehicles but it is sure more fun with more... Of course, we still have time before September...
Old 07-10-2006, 03:00 PM

We could do this if the time is right. September 8-10 would be good...sounds like a good drive, hope I can keep up with all these modded HHRs!
Old 07-10-2006, 03:53 PM

I am down for the run. Keep me posted.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:17 PM

Oh man you west coasters are killing me...I Love Monterey, Carmel, San Simeon...next year you guys need to have this stuff planned because I swear I am coming back for a visit...I would love to drive my HHR on Highway 1...if the 1989 quake hadn't scared my wife so bad I would move back in a heartbeat!!!...Post lots of pics...Please!
Old 07-10-2006, 05:00 PM

Cool

Originally Posted by Songman
Anyone else? We can do it with just a couple of vehicles but it is sure more fun with more... Of course, we still have time before September...
Not sure if you're aware of a run to Monterey in Aug is planned. If you would plan for late Sept you'll probably get more rides.
Old 07-10-2006, 05:08 PM

Yeah, I said in the original post that I knew they were planning a Monterey meet in August and if it didn't clash I would do this one. The one in August, in my opinion, is more for Northern folks and since it is just a one day thing would be almost impossible for people from Southern CA to go all the way there and back in one day. That is why I always make mine a weekend. And the main draw is the drive anyway. Highway 1 is the place to drive in CA in my opinion. Since I have a relationship with a hotel that gives me $59/night all the time. I try to use it often.

It looks like there are plenty of people interested in the weekend trip, and I hope that the people in the North who may not come to San Simeon on Friday will at least meet us for lunch in Monterey.

As far as when in September, I am completely open. Maybe I should do a poll to see when the most people would be able to make it.

If anyone feels this will take away from the August meet, I will drop it. Let me know...
Old 07-10-2006, 09:01 PM

Cool

Not a problem. Some may be staying in the Monterey area overnight. Some need to make it a 1 day thingie.

I love the Hwy 1 drive. I drove it to the Solvang Run back in May. It's purrttie!

If you set a Sept run towards the end of the month, many may join you. Esp. those that would like to meet in Monterey again.

Old 07-10-2006, 11:26 PM

I started a poll at https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/south-pacific-36/poll-best-september-weekend-coast-run-3102/ to find the weekend that will work best for everyone...

Quick Reply: Coast Run??