South Pacific CA, NV, HI

Ghost Town Run ANYONE???

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 02:10 PM

Question Ghost Town Run ANYONE???

I am thinking about putting together a GHOST TOWN RUN for October (Should be the right time don't you think)! I want some feedback to see if anyone, and how many, are interested. I have two different trips in mind. Select one because if we do both, it would take a couple of days.

1. Bodie CA. Approx: 10 hour trip give or take depending on where you are coming from. It is a ghost town that is pretty much intact, no one lives there but they are keeping it renovated. It is about a 1/2 mile walk into the town. Here is the link to check it out: http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/ca/bodie.html

2. An overall drive of Mariposa and Tuolumne Counties. Approx: 325 miles give or take. Several small ghost towns, some abandoned and some lived in but nice old buildings. Here is the link I found, just click on the counties. (I am chosing a few good ones that there is at least something to look at. Like Chinese Camp, Columbia, Hornitos, Coulterville and more.): http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/ca/casouth.html

Anyone ready?
Old 07-05-2010, 03:05 PM

Unless they've fixed the road I will take a rental but not my HHR SS.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:01 PM

Which Road?

Are you talking the dirt road you have to walk to Bodie on? The roads up and around Columbia are pretty good.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:08 PM

3 Miles

Originally Posted by bizzyca
Are you talking the dirt road you have to walk to Bodie on? The roads up and around Columbia are pretty good.
Ok, there are 3 miles of dirt road to Bodie, but just bring your dust rag with you.
Old 07-05-2010, 10:23 PM

It's been many years since I've been to Bodie, but when I was there the dirt road going in was fairly rough. Don't think I'd want to put the HHR through that. It's more of a truck road.

Randy
Old 07-06-2010, 07:51 AM

Mariposa and Tuolumne may be better!

Well on that note, Maybe the Maripose and Tuolumne run will be much better - faster too! Anyone else interested??
Old 07-06-2010, 08:55 AM

I used to live in Maiposa..... Funny, we never really referred to some of those towns like Hornitos or Colterville as "ghost towns"...... lol. There just weren't a lot of people living there.

Should be a nice drive though if you stay on the beaten track. If you're on the 49 coming from Oakhurst to Mariposa.... when you get to the last downhill before Maiposa, just as you pass Ashworth road, look to your left and wave at my mountain....... I miss her.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:56 AM

Not a lot of interest is there?

Thank you to those that replied. It gave me some feedback. Well, I guess from the lack of interest, this is a no-go. I will try to come up with something later. Not giving up yet for a second run this year.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:16 AM

Thanks Bizzyca for puting forth the effort towards planning an outing/event/run. PLS continue with your efforts as us Nor-Calers are looking for G2Gs, car shows, etc to go to.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:23 AM

Really? You guys won't drive 3 miles on a rough road? I live in Michigan. It's life around here...

Quick Reply: Ghost Town Run ANYONE???