SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

08 HHR SS Auto Brake Issue Repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by agentsmith23
I picked up my SS earlier today and the brake problem still isn't fixed. The car had been sitting for at least 5 hours when I got there so I tried showing a mechanic what it was doing. So I started it up and I told him the brakes also make an unusual noise if the brakes are pumped at start up, so I pumped the brakes and he heard the noise. Unfortunately I pumped the brakes too much and the brakes worked fine when i came to a stop. His explanation for the noise was that I hit the brakes too hard and all vehicles will do that. And the mechanic and service manager said that they have fixed other cars with that TSB and my car isn't experiencing the issue described in the TSB.

I also tried "Pump the brakes until the vacuum in the brake booster was gone, restart the car". This had no effect. Not sure if I was doing it wrong but I turned off the car and pumped the brakes until they got hard and could not be pumped any more, turned the car back on and the brakes were still working fine. Should I be doing this a different way? I plan on calling GM tomorrow after I get out of work to see if I can get them to basically tell a dealer to fix the issue.
I would call GM customer service and plead you case and give them the info on the TSB. Point out the part became a OE part on all 2009 after January for a reason. Also I would check into another dealer. If mine would fix it with out reproducing the issue I am sure that you can find one in your area that will also.

It also takes at least 8 hours for the vaccume to bleed off. I have yet to see a pre OE pump SS automatic to not have this issue. It was also common on the Solstice and Sky Automatic Turbo cars too. They too recieved the pumps.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:27 AM

Definitely go to another dealer. The first one I went to tried jerking me around, so I went to another dealer and they fixed it after ordering the parts. They never asked me to reproduce the problem, and they used the TSB number to address the situation.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:48 AM

My brakes bleed off overnight, but I don't have any other brake issues (once it is started up and running, all is well). Not sure if I need to go in for the TSB or not.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:58 AM

I had mine done, because i felt it was dangerous. My driveway angle is quite steep. They added the pump, and i had no problems with the brakes since.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by LewiSS
My brakes bleed off overnight, but I don't have any other brake issues (once it is started up and running, all is well). Not sure if I need to go in for the TSB or not.
Most brakes will bleed off some but the turbo engines just don't replace it very fast. I suspect cam timing.

The fact is the car runs and performs better with the now OE pump installed. If you are under warranrty have it installed for free.

GM factory installed them for a reason on the later SS and not just because it made them feel good.
Old 04-21-2011, 05:09 PM

I filed a complaint on Chevy's website yesterday and just got a call from a rep who also says that TSB #09-05-22-001 doesn't apply to my 2008 HHR SS but they are going to have someone contact me either tomorrow or Monday. Why does GM seem to deny the existence of this issue?
Old 04-21-2011, 08:43 PM

Have they stated why it does not apply to your SS?

The TSB if I recall included all 08 and early 09 SS automatic transmissions.

Only mid year and later 09 SS and all manual tranny SS are exempted.

Here is what the TSB states.

#09-05-22-001: Hard Brake Pedal, Extra Effort Needed to Depress Brake Pedal on Cold Start-Up (Add Auxiliary Vacuum Pump) - (Jan 22, 2009)

Subject: Hard Brake Pedal, Extra Effort Needed to Depress Brake Pedal on Cold Start-up (Add Auxiliary Vacuum Pump)

Models: 2008-2009 Chevrolet HHR SS

Built Prior to January 2009 and Equipped with Automatic Transmission

I would assume that your SS was built prior to 1-09 since it is a 08. I would ask them why it states this and they claim it is excluded? would also send them here and ask why so many of us here with 08 SS built during the entire 08 model year have taken our cars to the dealer and had the issues fixed with no problem.

My dealer did not even have to reproduce the issues and they fixed it. I know what it was doing and they took me at my word. I have never has the issues since.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:55 AM

Dont you guys watch your vac gage on start up? Cold starts automatically spool up the turbo ( which is why its so loud..pull the cleaner and see) because of this there is practically no vacuum being produced..once it spools back then the gage drops back to normal, around 20 vac. The real question is why it bleeds down so fast other then the fact its a tiny booster.....
Old 04-22-2011, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by IgottaWoody
Dont you guys watch your vac gage on start up? Cold starts automatically spool up the turbo ( which is why its so loud..pull the cleaner and see) because of this there is practically no vacuum being produced..once it spools back then the gage drops back to normal, around 20 vac. The real question is why it bleeds down so fast other then the fact its a tiny booster.....
I have been told it has more to do with the valve overlap of the VVT cams on the Turbo automatic. It just builds slow at idle.

While most don't lose all their vaccume most will lose some and some may lose all. They just build it up as soon as the car starts and it is never an issue.

in this case it is just the LNF auto and the SS, Solstive and Sky turbo Auto matics that do this. The brake system is the same but the engine and tranny are what are different. GM has added the pump as the engine with the Auto just does not make enough vaccume. If it were just a leak they could have fixed it as it would have much cheaper. Also the others more than not would have the same issues.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:42 AM

I had to take mine in the night before, drop it off and let it sit overnight before my dealer could "duplicate" the issue. Maybe you need to do that. I also stuck a note on the car saying do not move me till morning because of TSB #... causing this issue. It was my 3rd time in for them to fix the issue.

Quick Reply: 08 HHR SS Auto Brake Issue Repair