SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

2008 hhr ss coded - p0089 & p0304

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 12:37 PM

2008 hhr ss coded - p0089 & p0304

I need help. My check engine light came on a month ago and it showed a P0304 code. Changed the spark plugs, ran some fuel injector cleaner through it twice and put in a new air filter. A few days later, the check engine light came on again. Same code. Cleared the code and then 3 days later same code, followed by P0089. I had the inline fuel pump changed a couple months ago at the dealership because I received the Reduced Engine Power notice on my dash. Car ran great! Now the codes are popping up. In the morning it idles really rough during cold starts and this is every day now. HELP!!!
Old 11-21-2012, 07:57 AM

I get the P0304 all the time (Misfire?). I was going to swap plugs, but sounds like this may not be the answer...

maybe plugs and wires..
Old 11-21-2012, 08:18 AM

Took my car to the dealership and they said there was a service bulletin out on excess carbon on fuel injectors and pistons. They completed three deep cleanings of the fuel injectors and pistons and misfire code went away. I can still hear and feel a miss though. They said if the light comes on again they're going to have to replace the top end of engine. Thank goodness for the warranty.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:16 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by SSTRBOTX
I can still hear and feel a miss though. They said if the light comes on again they're going to have to replace the top end of engine.
Then apparently they didn't fix it. The light coming on is not the issue. The running bad IS the issue. Take it back to them ASAP.
So how did they come up with ,"replace the top end of the engine"? They would have to have seen another problem if that's their idea of a cure. Sounds like they didn't give you the whole diagnosis.
I would take it back now and tell them to fix it right this time.

Last edited by ChevyMgr; 02-13-2013 at 06:01 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:20 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by JAXFL_SS
I get the P0304 all the time (Misfire?). I was going to swap plugs, but sounds like this may not be the answer...

maybe plugs and wires..
There are no wires in the traditional sense.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:35 PM

My SS went into the dealer for this exact same issue on Thursday. Car died on me on Wed night and had it towed to the dealer. The morning before I was having hard starts and felt a miss/stumble until the motor was warm.

They said they had to do the carbon clean out and replace an injector and it would be ready by noon that day. Got a call back and said they now needed to keep the car overnight and to come pick up a loaner.

Got a call around noon yesterday and said they got it started again but on the test drive it died and threw a bunch of new codes. Told me they now had to keep the car for the weekend cause they were pulling the top end apart. They suspect a valve issue. I will keep everyone updated.

Car only has 40k KMS on it and has never been modified. This is the first and more than likely last GM product I buy.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by HiggySS
My SS went into the dealer for this exact same issue on Thursday. Car died on me on Wed night and had it towed to the dealer. The morning before I was having hard starts and felt a miss/stumble until the motor was warm.

They said they had to do the carbon clean out and replace an injector and it would be ready by noon that day. Got a call back and said they now needed to keep the car overnight and to come pick up a loaner.

Got a call around noon yesterday and said they got it started again but on the test drive it died and threw a bunch of new codes. Told me they now had to keep the car for the weekend cause they were pulling the top end apart. They suspect a valve issue. I will keep everyone updated.

Car only has 40k KMS on it and has never been modified. This is the first and more than likely last GM product I buy.
Its too bad that some people have problems like this. I love mine. I feel bad for you man
Old 12-01-2012, 07:22 PM

With the experience I have gained workin' on my old truck the last few months, I'd have no problems pulling the top end on the SS. Being modded, it would be easier for me to replace it myself (and probably cheaper) than to deal with the hassle at the dealer.

I still think I'm gonna shoot for new plugs first since I have close to 85K. Can anyone tell me, looking at the engine from the front, how are the plugs arranged. 1-4 R-L or 1-4 L-R ?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2012, 07:34 PM

From the front, number 1 is on your left.
Old 12-01-2012, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by ecopower ss
From the front, number 1 is on your left.
Thanks ecopower. Soon as I get this top end rebuilt on the Trooper, I'll be moving back to the SS.

Quick Reply: 2008 hhr ss coded - p0089 & p0304