SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

2008 SS rear brakes

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 09:51 AM

Question 2008 SS rear brakes

Lately I've noticed when I first back out of my driveway my rear brakes seem to make a grinding noise and grab a little bit. Does not do that when driving though and doesn't seem to do it in reverse at a later time of the day after driving - only seems to happen first drive of the day when backing out of driveway.

Thoughts?
Old 11-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Platinum Member

Next time, take a close look at your rotors before your first back up. The SS rotors are known to get a haze of rust on them when they sit for a while. If you park outside, the humidity in the night air can make it worse.
The first application of the brakes usually wipes the rust off.
I will wash mine at work a lot of times. It then sits till the next morning when I go home. The rotors are usually orange colored in the morning and make that scrubbing sound till I use the brakes once or twice. Sometimes the
e-brake will even make a little "pop" noise when I release it. The rust apparently is making the pads stick to the rotors.
I would bet that this will most likely be your issue.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:21 AM

Firemangeorge is absolutely correct. Drum brakes were a lot worse.

My new 1996 S-10 was really bad for making noise as I backed out of the driveway. Just rust. I still have the S-10 with 76,000 miles on it. It still does it.

Boydie

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Next time, take a close look at your rotors before your first back up. The SS rotors are known to get a haze of rust on them when they sit for a while. If you park outside, the humidity in the night air can make it worse.
The first application of the brakes usually wipes the rust off.
I will wash mine at work a lot of times. It then sits till the next morning when I go home. The rotors are usually orange colored in the morning and make that scrubbing sound till I use the brakes once or twice. Sometimes the
e-brake will even make a little "pop" noise when I release it. The rust apparently is making the pads stick to the rotors.
I would bet that this will most likely be your issue.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:43 PM

The car does sit outside and I just checked the rear rotors and they do have some surface rust areas and the fronts do as well. Since it rained a bit last night that's not surprising. I'll drive it today to clean them up the put the car in the garage for a day or so and see what happens.

Thanks.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:43 PM
Administrator

Let us know if this resolves your issue.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:51 PM

Will do. I double-checked before I drove it this afternoon and there was a light rust coating on the front and rear rotors. Put it in the garage tonight and insured there was no rust on the rotors. I'll check in the next couple of days for (1) rust or not and (2) whether it acts the same way.

{Edit}
If that is the problem is there any coating I could spray on the rotors to stop it, or at least slow it down?
Old 11-06-2013, 10:27 PM
Platinum Member

Nothing you can spray on the rotors because the first time you use the brakes it will just rub off.
The stock rotors seem to be made from a metal compound that is very easy to rust(cheap Chinese stuff maybe?)
I know I can park my SS overnight next to my Dodge truck. In the morning, the SS rotors will have the rust haze but the Dodge will be clean and rust free. Makes me believe it's the difference in the metal material between the two.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:33 PM

Kind of what I thought once the idea sunk in. Anything sprayed on would either get worn off quickly or would cause problems by coating the rotor.

I really haven't had a chance to pull the wheels and inspect the pads & rotors yet but with 70,000+ miles it may be time to do that. Not looking for any great stopping power with high dollar rotors. I see where Advance Auto has Wagner rotors at $46.50 for front and $75.00 for rears and I've always had respect for Wagner brake products.

O'Reillys has EBC (never heard of them) slotted rotors only (that I could find) in both 11.7 front and 10.6 rear as well as 12.4 Brembos but no pricing. Can I assume the larger Brembos are an aftermarket replacement and mine should be the 11.7/10.6 combination?
Old 11-07-2013, 05:51 AM
Platinum Member

Do you have Brembos?
The SS's came with 1 of 2 different rotor sizes. The standard size SS rotors or the larger size if you have the Brembo brake pkg option. The larger size is not considered aftermarket but a factory option.
The rears are all the same, years 08-10.
EBC are a good quality aftermarket brake company from what I've read. They are going to be a little pricey, compared to some others. If you choose EBC for pads, go with the EBC Red stuff pads. Those seem to be the best choice for a daily driver.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:25 PM

Checked noises today. Put car in garage and made sure there was no surface rust when I backed out. Gone was the 'grinding' and 'grabbing' so that could have been it. Still noticed the brakes were sluggish in reverse, almost like there's not enough vacuum to make the pedal feel right. Everything seems the same ('good') once it's rolling with no apparent brake issues.

Quick Reply: 2008 SS rear brakes