SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Antifreeze Leak Under Thermostat Housing

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 03:31 PM

Could possibly put dye in the coolant and use a UV light to inspect the area ?
Old 04-17-2019, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
Could possibly put dye in the coolant and use a UV light to inspect the area ?
Yes, that idea crossed my mind too. We'll see how things progress; I may have to do that.
Old 04-17-2019, 08:41 AM
Administrator

Take into consideration, was the fan on?
Old 04-17-2019, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Take into consideration, was the fan on?
Yes it was. So that's a good point. It's possible some of the leakage from the oil cooler on the frontside was "blown" back. So if that were the case, my hope is that the residue completely dried up after a few hundred miles and I'll find everything tidy and dry this weekend when I'm under it again. I've stuck my head under the car in the parking lot each day after work and haven't found any puddles. And no visible drips on the chassis. So that's a plus! (fingers crossed)
Old 06-08-2019, 05:35 AM

Quick update to close the loop...I couldn't definitively tell if the leak was engine oil, coolant, or trans fluid. I had a hunch though that it wasn't coolant. So I put UV dye in the engine oil and drove it a few thousand miles. I finally laid back under it last night to inspect things. Lo and behold, everything is bone dry! Woohoo! My guess is either that a seal had to "settle in" or there was residue laying in the bellhousing from when I installed the torque converter. The converter had leftover fluid in it, so tilting it from horizontal (on the workbench) to vertical (installation to the trans shaft) would likely cause some spill in the bell, and after installing to the trans shaft, there's no room to look or slip a rag in there to clean anything. So now, the drivetrain is completely leak-free after my rebuild.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:55 AM
Administrator

If there is residue, a squirt of brake cleaner will clean that up!
Old 06-08-2019, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
If there is residue, a squirt of brake cleaner will clean that up!
Not inside the bellhousing once you shove the torque converter on the input shaft. The converter consumes the entire diameter of the bell and leaves no room to make direct aim on oily residue that spilled during converter installation. Besides...anyone who has followed my journey since December knows that a chemical that didn't play well with rubber/plastic is what got me into this mess to begin with. So I tend to be much more judicious about my use of brake cleaner and other chemicals, only using them sparingly and carefully in the exact location where needed, perhaps on a moistened rag rather than nozzle spray. I learned that I don't blindly spray chemicals wherever I feel like it, with wild hopes of hitting the target and creating no collateral damage.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:06 AM
Administrator

Well alrighty then. Case closed.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:39 AM
Platinum Member

Well, I use spray brake cleaner on stuff all the time. Generally keep 2-3 cans on the shelf in my shop.
I think m_ridzon is just a little gun shy from his other experience. Can't blame him because of that.
I wouldn't have a problem spraying down the inside of the bell housing with the TC in place. It would have rinsed a lot of that spillage out of there because the TC doesn't touch any part of the bell housing. And the spray dries up quick.
Besides, it would only be spraying on the external of the trans.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
Well, I use spray brake cleaner on stuff all the time. Generally keep 2-3 cans on the shelf in my shop.
I think m_ridzon is just a little gun shy from his other experience. Can't blame him because of that.
I wouldn't have a problem spraying down the inside of the bell housing with the TC in place. It would have rinsed a lot of that spillage out of there because the TC doesn't touch any part of the bell housing. And the spray dries up quick.
Besides, it would only be spraying on the external of the trans.
I still use the chemicals and have an arsenal of them on my shop shelf. I'm just much more thoughtful about when and where I use them.

Quick Reply: Antifreeze Leak Under Thermostat Housing