SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Battery current sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 11:50 AM

Battery current sensor

My 08 SS has a history of problems with the BCM loosing its memory when the battery is disconnected, or goes dead while sitting for extended periods. This results in remotes only working while car running or until end of R.A.P. cycle . Also all tire sensor info is lost.

When charging the dead battery I noticed that the battery ground wire has the current sensor in place, however the wiring for it is missing. Can anyone with a 08 SS confirm that the sensor is used on this model?

From what I have seen it is used on all current HHR and Cobalt. The problem is; I have traced the harness back to where the split for the right side marker light is located with no sign of the required wires.

If the car should have this wiring it may go towards helping to figure out this problem with the BCM or at least prevent a future problem.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Last edited by lotsanos; 04-22-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-22-2010, 02:37 PM

Did you buy the car new? If so it should covered under warranty I'd assume.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by lotsanos
When charging the dead battery I noticed that the battery ground wire has the current sensor in place, however the wiring harness for it is missing. Can anyone with a 08 SS confirm that the sensor is used on this model?

From what I have seen it is used on all current HHR and Cobalt. The problem is I have traced the harness back to where the split for the right side marker light is located with no sign of the required wires.
I'm confused. Is the harness there or not there?
Old 04-22-2010, 06:39 PM

Glenn,

See my post:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...7&postcount=16

Look at both links supplied. The first is a service bulletin ChevyMgr posted. The second(start at post #10) is a round about discussion of what I think your problem maybe or certainly seems to be related - although it may not seem to be at first. Just follow the discussion.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by asanti
Did you buy the car new? If so it should covered under warranty I'd assume.
I am the second owner for this car. Fortunately all waranty transfers so it will be going back for a reflash on the BCM. Just trying to find out if there is also an issue with the current sensor not being connected.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by ChevyMgr
I'm confused. Is the harness there or not there?
The wires at the current sensor are missing. Without pulling the interior apart i can see through the small panel on right side that the wires are not part of the main rear harness at that point. If in fact these wires should be there, then I hope they are sitting in with the XM and Onstar wiring.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Sno White
Glenn,

See my post:
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/show...7&postcount=16

Look at both links supplied. The first is a service bulletin ChevyMgr posted. The second(start at post #10) is a round about discussion of what I think your problem maybe or certainly seems to be related - although it may not seem to be at first. Just follow the discussion.
This post was in my mind when car was parked for the winter. It was apparent that if the battery was pulled for storage the BCM would need a re flash in the spring. It was decided to leave battery connected and take my chances, as you can tell I lost. In the spring a Boost Pack was connected under the hood to power the hatch lock only. At this point the battery was replaced in the rear and car started. At no time were there any arcs up front, boost pack has an on off switch. In no way is the loss of BCM memory due to anything other than loss of power. Pretty sad if you have to go to the dealer for new modules or a re flash every time you disconnect the battery.
Old 04-23-2010, 12:16 AM

Sad indeed.

Could you insist on knowing if it is the BCM or the RCDLR that needs to be reprogrammed by the dealer? The posters in the other thread never got back with their results as to whether if the reprogram is permanant or has to be done with each power outage
Old 04-24-2010, 07:14 PM

Sno White A little history on the warranty work shows Claim R4481 Remote control door lock receiver and theft deterrent module at 6052 km and again at 16,554 km. Then when i purchased car at 19,734 km it was taken to dealer for non functional remotes and tire sensors. Dealer listed as reprogram RCDLR .40 hours labor. Will let you know what the fix is this time, but you are correct in that it appears RCDLR related not BCM.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:46 PM

Had the SS in to the dealer today regarding the Current sensor. The response was "Turbo engine does not use battery current sensor. Sensor is part of negative cable common to all engines"

Also had to have RCDLR reprogrammed again. After dead battery over the winter.

Quick Reply: Battery current sensor