SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Blown engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 11:32 AM

Blown engine?

I was driving at a steady 65 MPH when the check engine light came on. Called On Star and these was their responses. Now the dealer is saying I blew the engine. No knocks or engine noises. It miss fires and is smoking. On Star found no codes, but reported the following.

"The Engine and Transmission System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Variable Valve Timing System adjust the timing of fuel delivery for more efficient engine operation. If the check engine light is flashing, a misfire condition has been detected. A misfire increases vehicle emissions and could damage the emission control system on the vehicle. Please reduce vehicle speed, avoid hard accelerations, avoid steep uphill grades, and reduce any cargo loads such as a trailer. If the vehicle is continually driven with the check engine light on, the emission controls might not work as well, the vehicle fuel economy might not be as good, and the engine might not run as smoothly. This could lead to future repairs."

And this:
"The Emissions System is not performing as expected. An issue has been detected in the Exhaust Emissions System which monitors and controls exhaust gases released into the air from the engine. If the vehicle is continually driven with this light on, the emission controls might not work as well, the vehicle fuel economy might not be as good, the engine might not run as smoothly and could lead to future repairs."

I had no problems or oil consumption prior to this. Dealer says to many codes to check. They say I have no compression in #2 cyl. They want to rebuild the engine. I do have 197K miles.

Any ideas out there?

Old 03-18-2019, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

Without codes any suggestions along that line would be guessing.

With the emissions warnings/comments my first thought would be an O2 sensor has gone south, which could also explain the misfires and the engine smoking.

No compression in Cyl #2 typically means a holed piston (which would relate to the misfires and the engine smoking), or totally messed up valves for that cyl. I think I would want a second opinion on both situations.

A replacement engine might be a better choice than having them rebuild it, if it comes to that, especially with that rather high mileage. A few members have gone through the replacement engine routine with great results.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:08 PM
Administrator

Sorry for the issues your HHR has s suffering. A look inside #2 through the spark plug hole, with a camera should tell the story.
if the timing chain skipped and took out a valve or two , that would explain the fuel rich condition.
the spark plug could have been damaged in that situation.
to bad they didn’t give you a list of codes. Most relate to others.
Old 03-18-2019, 03:52 PM

Let's start with the basics.
Year,model (engine size) and milage.
Also this is BS if they know anything, " Dealer says to many codes to check"
Go get the codes read with the numbers from some other shop.
Codes start P and then numbers after it. (P0123 as an example) and report back.
Check your oil. By the way do you do regular oil changes ?
Let's not jump to conclusions.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Cat Man HHR
Let's start with the basics.
Year,model (engine size) and milage.
Also this is BS if they know anything, " Dealer says to many codes to check"
Go get the codes read with the numbers from some other shop.
Codes start P and then numbers after it. (P0123 as an example) and report back.
Check your oil. By the way do you do regular oil changes ?
Let's not jump to conclusions.
This is the SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs section, right? Sorry, just not in a very good mood right now.

I have a 2008 SS, They only have a 2 ltr engines, 197k mileage.

Still have the original clutch, stage 1 upgrade. second set of rear brakes and 3rd front. 90% of driving is state freeway, non-rush hour. 30K miles on 3rd set of tires. I don't drive hard. Failure happened at a steady speed and the engine never overheated. Only other repairs were a fuel pump at 90k miles and a clutch slave at 180k miles.

Towed to a second dealer. Didn't tell him what the other dealer said. Confirmed a dead hole. #2 has 0 compression. #1 - 140lbs, #2 - 0, #3 - 135 lbs, #4 - 130 lbs. Codes were random miss and emissions control issues.

Only Mobile 1 oil used and changed every 4-5000 miles. Well below the recommended interval on the dash readout.

At this point, a service block replacement is my only choice or sell what's left. Will have to decide.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:12 PM

I have an 08 SS that just turned 205K. I do Mobil 1 every 5000-5500 miles. I did timing chain maintenance at 165K. High pressure fuel pump went at 155k. New plugs installed then. Clutch is original. New brake pads all around several times and front wheel bearings. I was hoping to get to 300K but your post disturbs me. Mine is still running like new. I hope nothing bad like yours happens but if so I will put a new engine in her as the car is in excellent condition. I like these cars so much I have two 40k SS's in storage and bought my wife a 70k SS for her daily driver. So, yes I have four now. Best car I have ever owned and I've had everything in my 61 years.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by Longbrownroad
I have an 08 SS that just turned 205K. I do Mobil 1 every 5000-5500 miles. I did timing chain maintenance at 165K. High pressure fuel pump went at 155k. New plugs installed then. Clutch is original. New brake pads all around several times and front wheel bearings. I was hoping to get to 300K but your post disturbs me. Mine is still running like new. I hope nothing bad like yours happens but if so I will put a new engine in her as the car is in excellent condition. I like these cars so much I have two 40k SS's in storage and bought my wife a 70k SS for her daily driver. So, yes I have four now. Best car I have ever owned and I've had everything in my 61 years.

That is so cool that you have 2 in storage. wish i could do that.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:19 AM

You can get brand new ldk long block for $2k from zzp. Just a thought.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:53 AM

Complete New engine shipped for $2,169

I don't need one yet but considering I have 4 hhr ss's, one with 205k, I ordered a complete engine assembly including turbo from ATK high performance (owned by LKQ) in Grand Prairie, Tx. Total to my door $2,169. These are new GM built engines. I thought I would grab one before they all disappear.
Old 03-28-2019, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Longbrownroad
I don't need one yet but considering I have 4 hhr ss's, one with 205k, I ordered a complete engine assembly including turbo from ATK high performance (owned by LKQ) in Grand Prairie, Tx. Total to my door $2,169. These are new GM built engines. I thought I would grab one before they all disappear.
I got mine today from Grand Prairie Tx, Had to pay tax tho. same price. Dam good deal!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-Chevrolet-Ecotec-LNF-LDK-2-0L-Turbo-Engine-Brand-New-Euro/273617895956?hash=item3fb4e5c214:g:2d8AAOSw9~RcGl
If you order it from their web site you may save $100?

Quick Reply: Blown engine?