SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

BLOWN Turbo???

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 06:50 PM

Angry BLOWN Turbo???

Crap. What's going on? Is the turbo shot? I got a 2009 Panel SS - 5 spd. Did the stage 1 kit GM dealer installed. Also did a K & N cold air intake. Since then I put on 30K with never a problem. A few days ago the 'service airbag message' started showing up. Today I was playing around with the No Lift Upshift (in the launch control mode) getting used to it. Now I've lost all my power. The boost gauge only goes to 40 instead of 120 and the sweet turbo whine is pretty well gone. I've let the car cool down for 3 hours and still no difference. I'm supposed to go to the dealer in the morning but this is really bothering me. I can't sleep. I need answers. Any similar experiences or input? Help.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:59 PM

I'm right there with ya. I've been sitting on a possibly.blown turbo for about a month. 08 with 11 thousand miles. I have had no boost and an intermittent grinding noises in the turbo. GM engineering is making me data log so they can rule out other possible causes. I have also had intermittent check engine lights and codes for low turbo oil pressure, misfire cylinder 3, waste gate stuck, and turbo over boost which is weird since I have no boost at all. Let me know what they find on yours.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Crap. What's going on? Is the turbo shot? I got a 2009 Panel SS - 5 spd. Did the stage 1 kit GM dealer installed. Also did a K & N cold air intake. Since then I put on 30K with never a problem. A few days ago the 'service airbag message' started showing up. Today I was playing around with the No Lift Upshift (in the launch control mode) getting used to it. Now I've lost all my power. The boost gauge only goes to 40 instead of 120 and the sweet turbo whine is pretty well gone. I've let the car cool down for 3 hours and still no difference. I'm supposed to go to the dealer in the morning but this is really bothering me. I can't sleep. I need answers. Any similar experiences or input? Help.
Just for grins , If you hav'nt already ,
Disconect the battery for 10 min.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:03 AM

And check to see if the charge piping has come loose.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:35 PM

From my old Saab days, black smoke was a sign of a blown turbo ( also no boost)
Old 09-07-2010, 04:58 PM

Do you have the K&N kit that comes with the new pipe, filter, and box lid? If so check the filter in the air box. After a few runs at the track and some NLS it blew the filter off the pipe spinning the filter around and pluged up my intake every time it would boost. After driving it for a bit like this it went in to limp mode witch is what your discribing.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:45 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies. Glad there's no black smoke. If I got problems down the road I'll know a few things to check first. Got my car back last Friday afternoon. Works great. The dealer basically said it went into limp mode which helps protect the engine obviously. They hooked up the computer to it, and a few codes came on. Bottom line....one of the sensors was coming loose and they reconnected it. They said it won't come loose again. No bill for me on this one. The dealership looked after me well. The car works awesome....maybe quicker than before? My boost gauge goes from 120 to 140 psi at 5000 rpm. I never noticed this before.
Old 09-07-2010, 05:49 PM

Hi SSPD,
Thanks for your reply. See my post. Question for you. How do you like your IPCW black led lights. I was thinking about putting the exact same on my red SS. Any pics?
Old 09-08-2010, 12:10 AM

Unfortunately it sounds like you have the fairly common problem of the engine rocking and rubbing the sensor that was installed with the stage 1 upgrade. Hope its fixed for good now.
As for the IPCW lights, they are my favourite mod so far. I love mine, and I only have the stock looking red ones. I say giv'er.
Old 09-08-2010, 05:47 AM

A few even would blow the Map out of the tube due to a bad electric weld on the tube.

THis was only on some the early made pipes. If it goes you have no boost.

Quick Reply: BLOWN Turbo???