SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Broken shift cable

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 08:15 PM

Broken shift cable

Long-time lurker, love this site, yada, yada...
'09 SS, manual
I broke one of the shift cables, last night. I was stopped at a light, light turned green, I tried to put her in first, then felt a pop. I broke the "up-and-down" cable. I know it's broken because I disconnected it at the shifter and pulled it right out. The GM dealership I talked to (I have contacts) says the OEM part only comes as the pair of cables together, and no dealership in my state has it. Is there a generic cable I can make work? Also, how do I remove the other end at the transmission?
Thx.
Old 08-13-2016, 09:28 PM
Technical Moderator

As far as I can tell, the book thinks it is intuitive after you look at it. It says "remove the cable end from the shift lever".

Once you get a part number type it into GoOgle you usually will get a lot of hits.
Our searc using "broken shift cable" came up with this link: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-s...t-cable-40806/.

this is on eBay, so it should be in stock: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GM-15939191-...9V33GV&vxp=mtr
Old 08-13-2016, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
As far as I can tell, the book thinks it is intuitive after you look at it. It says "remove the cable end from the shift lever".

Once you get a part number type it into GoOgle you usually will get a lot of hits.
Our searc using "broken shift cable" came up with this link: https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-s...t-cable-40806/.

this is on eBay, so it should be in stock: GM 15939191 Manual Trans Shift Cable | eBay
Many thanks for the reply. I stand corrected. Nobody in my CITY seems to have one sitting on the shelf.
I've already disconnected the stick-shift end. On the tranny end of the cable, do I just pry with a big455 flat-head, or is there some sort of clip or pin under the rubber boot?
Old 08-14-2016, 07:36 AM
Technical Moderator

I was talking about the lever on the transmission. The link I provided has some info about replacing it.

As I said "the book" just says "remove it". I have never looked at one, you have, they make it sound intuitive. It is a ball & socket is all I know.

The dealers I looked at online said it was a special order part. Don't be ascared of eBay, normally you can't advertise something on eBay that you don't have on hand, but check anyway. That's why I mentioned it.

If you really want to wait 3 months and pay full retail plus shipping, forget I mentioned it.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by donbrew
I was talking about the lever on the transmission. The link I provided has some info about replacing it.

As I said "the book" just says "remove it". I have never looked at one, you have, they make it sound intuitive. It is a ball & socket is all I know.

The dealers I looked at online said it was a special order part. Don't be ascared of eBay, normally you can't advertise something on eBay that you don't have on hand, but check anyway. That's why I mentioned it.

If you really want to wait 3 months and pay full retail plus shipping, forget I mentioned it.
Your input is much appreciated. I guess I'll wait until I get the new one to figure it out. I don't what the bust something off the car that needs to stay there.
Hmm, the link you posted says the part is in Grapevine, TX. (I'm in Houston) My local parts guy says he can get one from Grapevine.
(un)Lucky for me, mine broke on Friday night, so I couldn't call around until Saturday, so they can't order me one until Monday, so I can't have it until Tuesday.
Old 08-14-2016, 09:16 PM
Technical Moderator

eBay would be cheaper I bet.