Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-specific-service-issues-repairs-61/)
-   -   Cam Solenoid Issue (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-specific-service-issues-repairs-61/cam-solenoid-issue-51249/)

bikersteve59 07-28-2014 08:12 AM

Cam Solenoid Issue

I have a TC & ABS light on constantly (08 SS 5-Speed) that was intermittent for a year. Got a Cam Position Sensor code a few times, but It has not come back. There are no ESC or ABS codes. I replaced the front wheel bearings w/ABS sensors, as I have seen this be the issue on other vehicles, but no change. I read the Cam Solenoid thread & it looks like this might be my problem too, but most of the posts were for Automatic Trans. cars. Is the issue the same for 5-speeds also?
Thanks!

whopper 07-28-2014 10:44 AM

Yes, but with automatics, the trans shifts rather abruptly which can really be quite alarming to many people.

If you are looking for further advice, you really need to post the code generated by the OBDII system - if it isn't generating a code, any advice would be a total guess. Problems with the Cam Actuator Solenoids will generate the infamous p0010/11/13/14 codes - and they generally will be created if those specific parts are having problems.

If you are using a basic code reader, they generally do not read the more detailed ESC/ABS codes - for that, you will likely have to visit your local Chevy dealer who will use their more advanced readers (tech II).

OshawaHHRss 07-30-2014 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by bikersteve59 (Post 754145)
I have a TC & ABS light on constantly (08 SS 5-Speed) that was intermittent for a year. Got a Cam Position Sensor code a few times, but It has not come back. There are no ESC or ABS codes. I replaced the front wheel bearings w/ABS sensors, as I have seen this be the issue on other vehicles, but no change. I read the Cam Solenoid thread & it looks like this might be my problem too, but most of the posts were for Automatic Trans. cars. Is the issue the same for 5-speeds also?
Thanks!

I had the same problem with my '09 SS, I ordered new intake and exhaust solenoids, and new sensors and it solved the problem. One solenoid was rotted out and a sensor was packed with dirt

bikersteve59 08-01-2014 04:52 PM

Replaced Cam Solenoids, same problem

I replaced the cam solenoids & still have the "service ESC" "Service traction" messages & lights. Which sensor did you replace?

bikersteve59 08-01-2014 04:53 PM

Service ESC Light/message, No Codes

BTW, I don't get any codes when plugged into a scanner

firemangeorge 08-01-2014 05:46 PM

Reread the 3rd paragraph of whopper's post above.

And to echo the other thing whopper said, if you don't post up the original trouble code number you had, it's a little hard to try and help you. We would be just taking guesses.

donbrew 08-02-2014 06:02 AM

If the ESC & ABS light are on and no codes or brake light; that means most likely a bad wheel speed sensor.

Don't throw parts at lights randomly.