SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Coolant Recovery tank looks empty!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 12:27 PM

Unhappy Coolant Recovery tank looks empty!!!

I have noticed lately a slight ordor in the SS while driving. Smells like antifreeze . After reading the threads on Turbo Coolant By-pass leaks, decided to check under the hood. That's when I noticed the recovery tank empty, also undid the coolant cap and it is not filled to the top of the neck, although I can still see coolant. And I have also noticed the engine running a little hotter on the highway, up to a 6 or 7 degree increase at times.

I did check the Turbo Coolant bypass hose and there is no sign of leaks or any ordor in the engine compartment. I have to admit that in the 9 months of ownership and 16,000 miles, this is the 1st time I have checked the coolant level . Will add the Dex-Cool and water as per instructions in thw owners manual and take it from there.

A lesson to all, check your coolant level on a regular basis..
Will keep you posted.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:30 PM

Especially important to keep air out of the system when you are running DexCool. I have first hand experience with significant issues with this coolant and engine damage. 1996 Blazer had all repairs covered by GM, but only after great dealer intervention since it had 60,000 miles on it. Other repairs I have covered. After a lot of research and talking with DexCool proponents my personal conclusion is that it is absolutely critical to ensure there is no air in the system. So check the level at the radiator (cold of course) top it off, and ensure you always have the recovery tank level correct.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:18 PM

That is exactly how mine started. A faint coolant smell in the cabin that became gradually worse. I originally chocked it up to a little coolant spilled during the build of the car. When I saw that my coolant overflow was empty I topped it off and several weeks later it was dry again. That is originally the reson for the visit to the dealer. On long drives it would run hot, and when driving around town it took forever for the engine to get up to operating temp. I hope you don't have the same issue as me since they tell me that no replacement parts are available and it takes time to get a part off the assembly line.

Good luck,

SPPD
Old 12-20-2008, 08:30 PM

Your coolant didn't just disapear. I would take it in and have them do a cooling system pressure test under waranty to see if or where there is a leak. Especially if you are smelling coolant.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by c2vette
Especially important to keep air out of the system when you are running DexCool. I have first hand experience with significant issues with this coolant and engine damage. 1996 Blazer had all repairs covered by GM, but only after great dealer intervention since it had 60,000 miles on it. Other repairs I have covered. After a lot of research and talking with DexCool proponents my personal conclusion is that it is absolutely critical to ensure there is no air in the system. So check the level at the radiator (cold of course) top it off, and ensure you always have the recovery tank level correct.

I hear you there, very important indeed, there is a procedure outlined in the owner's manual about adding the Dex-Cool to the system, which I will follow.
Thanks for the tip, it's good for all of us to know.

Originally Posted by SPPD
That is exactly how mine started. A faint coolant smell in the cabin that became gradually worse. I originally chocked it up to a little coolant spilled during the build of the car. When I saw that my coolant overflow was empty I topped it off and several weeks later it was dry again. That is originally the reson for the visit to the dealer. On long drives it would run hot, and when driving around town it took forever for the engine to get up to operating temp. I hope you don't have the same issue as me since they tell me that no replacement parts are available and it takes time to get a part off the assembly line.

Good luck,

SPPD
Yes, that's how I think mine is going, although I will add the coolant anyway and see what happens, then again I will be off for a week & a half, so maybe take into the dealer, but if there is no part available, don't want them to hold the vehicle for weeks while they get the replacement part, even though they are pulling your part off of the line tomorrow. If you can let us know the part number, it would be greatly appreciated, it doesn't look like it is that hard to change, again mine is bone-dry at both ends with no sign of leakage, will have to check everyday to stay on top of this. and thanks.

Originally Posted by InkTheFlesh
Your coolant didn't just disapear. I would take it in and have them do a cooling system pressure test under waranty to see if or where there is a leak. Especially if you are smelling coolant.

Good point, but as I stated above, don't want to tie the SS up for more than I have to, anxious to see how SSPD does with his...
Old 12-21-2008, 10:42 AM

"I hear you there, very important indeed, there is a procedure outlined in the owner's manual about adding the Dex-Cool to the system, which I will follow.
Thanks for the tip, it's good for all of us to know.

Yes, that's how I think mine is going, although I will add the coolant anyway and see what happens, then again I will be off for a week & a half, so maybe take into the dealer, but if there is no part available, don't want them to hold the vehicle for weeks while they get the replacement part, even though they are pulling your part off of the line tomorrow. If you can let us know the part number, it would be greatly appreciated, it doesn't look like it is that hard to change, again mine is bone-dry at both ends with no sign of leakage, will have to check everyday to stay on top of this. and thanks.

Good point, but as I stated above, don't want to tie the SS up for more than I have to, anxious to see how SSPD does with his..."

I will give the Service Department a call tomorrow and see what I can find out about the part number.

SPPD
Old 12-21-2008, 01:02 PM

mine did this after about a month of ownership....it was a bad radiator
Old 12-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Banned

I had this issue and it was a diffective heater hose. the dealer said that it was a common issue where this hose develops a pin hole leak.

I found mine because it was spraying directly onto the turbo.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:04 PM

Well, I'm glad I read this post... I just remembered I had not checked my coolant level in over 2 months. It was near the bottom of the reservoir then so I refilled it. Now it is completely empty. I noticed it didn't seem to heat up as quickly lately, but it is below zero here today...

I think it is time to take this into the dealer and have them do a pressure test also. That coolant is going somewhere, even though I have not detected any leaking fluid or smell while driving. I hope that they can find it quickly as I haven't had the best luck on coolant leaks before with this type of thing.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:23 PM

It looks like we may have uncovered another problem that is plaging our little wagons. It seems like we are having a lot of cooling system problems. ChevyMgr, care to chime in?

SPPD

Quick Reply: Coolant Recovery tank looks empty!!!