SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Cutting bumper for hitch ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 08:35 AM

Cutting bumper for hitch ?

I'm looking for some ideas on cutting the rear bumper for my upcoming hitch installation. What would be a good method? and is their any way to trim it out so it doesn't look like a hack job?
Old 04-09-2011, 08:37 AM

I just used masking tape to set the edges, and notched it out with a dremel. You can barely even notice there is a hitch there.

Old 04-09-2011, 08:45 AM

Looks real nice. Did you mount the hitch first, use measurements? or what?
I'm gonna have a shaky hand when cutting my baby.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Premium Member

I used a Multi-Master with a 1/32 blade so I could use the cut out for filler
Attached Images   
Old 04-10-2011, 12:33 AM

Dont cut it..it barely moves the panel up when installed...that way if ever it had to come off.....and from a normal view perspective..its not really noticable for the average person..
Old 04-10-2011, 08:45 AM

Interesting .... Got a pic by any chance?
Old 04-10-2011, 09:12 AM

lower....

The SS sits lower than other HHRs. Unless you have an SS, you can do just fine with a conventional hitch. I use a hitch mount bicycle rack, and my problem is that it's barely too high to open the hatch without interference with the rack in its stowed position. If I hold the rack down, I can get the hatch open. If he hitch were any higher, I couldn't do this. Of course the hitch scrapes, even with out the rack attached, if I go up just the right kind of grade. A higher hitch in a non-SS might fix that problem.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Doctuh
The SS sits lower than other HHRs. Unless you have an SS, you can do just fine with a conventional hitch. I use a hitch mount bicycle rack, and my problem is that it's barely too high to open the hatch without interference with the rack in its stowed position. If I hold the rack down, I can get the hatch open. If he hitch were any higher, I couldn't do this. Of course the hitch scrapes, even with out the rack attached, if I go up just the right kind of grade. A higher hitch in a non-SS might fix that problem.
Yep, I have a new 2010 SS (900miles). Had a hitch on my 08 HHR LS and the fitment was perfect, but this shinny new SS bumper is not so hitch friendly. I'm just scared that my lack of talent when cutting may disfigure my baby's rear end for ever. I'm liking the tuck it under theory if it doesn't distort the plastic too much.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:40 PM

Been 2 1/2 years now with no problems..never scrapped it either....try it first...can always cut later..Im out of town at the moment and never remember to grab a pic..weather nicer now so I'll try for ya.
Old 04-11-2011, 01:01 AM

Thanks Mr. Woody, the hitch should come this week. We have some silly yard work to do and in my wife's eyes the only difference between my last LS and the SS is that this one doesn't have a hitch.

Quick Reply: Cutting bumper for hitch ?