SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Front Lower Grille Paint Match

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2022, 11:49 AM

Front Lower Grille Paint Match

Hello, I am new to the forum but have been a long time lurker. I ordered a new front lower grill because it was cracked in 3 places, I was just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction of the correct paint or perhaps another matte black plastic paint that will work? Grill came primed gray, Thanks so much!
Old 06-01-2022, 02:39 PM

I'd have a paint shop hit it for you but you can try Duplicolor.
Old 06-01-2022, 02:54 PM
Platinum Member

I'm guessing you bought some type of aftermarket SS lower grille ? Not an OEM GM replacement ? If so, then any type of quality "plastic" spray can should work. Semi gloss black. You may want to paint both upper and lower grilles at the same time for a good color match.

I've had my factory lower grille off a few times. Don't recalling it being painted. Just molded black plastic.
Old 06-01-2022, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
I'm guessing you bought some type of aftermarket SS lower grille ? Not an OEM GM replacement ? If so, then any type of quality "plastic" spray can should work. Semi gloss black. You may want to paint both upper and lower grilles at the same time for a good color match.

I've had my factory lower grille off a few times. Don't recalling it being painted. Just molded black plastic.
They are painted. At least they are supposed to be.
Old 06-01-2022, 03:28 PM
Platinum Member

No. Not painted. I tried to scratch mine in an inconspicuous spot. Dug down a little. All I scraped up was plastic shavings. And I've had my SS since new.
Why make a statement that they are "supposed" to be painted ? Aren't you the guy that doesn't even own a HHR much less an HHR SS ?
Here's mine today.

Old 06-01-2022, 03:58 PM

And LS/LT has an open hole. The black rubber license plate insert is called "lower grille" on LT/LS.

LS/LT
Old 06-01-2022, 04:14 PM
Administrator

The OP says he has an SS in his profile, factory SS upper and lower grilles were cast or injection molded in black plastic.

In the case of the aftermarket, yes a good plastic primer paint to the two grilles and a final coat of black so they match. Be prepared to touch up stone chips !
Old 06-01-2022, 04:48 PM

No. Not painted. I tried to scratch mine in an inconspicuous spot. Dug down a little. All I scraped up was plastic shavings. And I've had my SS since new.
Why make a statement that they are "supposed" to be painted ? Aren't you the guy that doesn't even own a HHR much less an HHR SS ?
Here's mine today.
The new ones come primed and ready for paint but you don't have to paint it.
Old 06-01-2022, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

Read a little closer. The primed part you refer to is the color matching outer shell of the grille assembly. It is (was) sold that way by GM. It is now a discontinued item per GM sites. The actual grille parts, upper. middle lower and left, right foglight grilles are NON painted ,not primed.
The OP stated his was in primer gray. Since his is a lower grille part I would guess it's aftermarket since it's primed.
Your quote : "The new ones come primed and ready for paint but you don't have to paint it." Do you really think someone is going to mount a gray middle grille amongst those other 3 black ones ? If I did that back in my body shop/repair days, I bet I would get fired.
Old 06-01-2022, 09:57 PM

Your quote : "The new ones come primed and ready for paint but you don't have to paint it." Do you really think someone is going to mount a gray middle grille amongst those other 3 black ones ? If I did that back in my body shop/repair days, I bet I would get fired.
If he were taking it to a shop we wouldn't be having this conversation. I would paint it but I've seen many a vehicle with grills, fenders, hoods etc that were primer or wrong color. That's not me or you, I guess,

Quick Reply: Front Lower Grille Paint Match