SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

fuel injector problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 12:36 AM

fuel injector problems

Sorry but I am new to all of this. I am having such a hard time finding the necessary information. I need to replace my fuel injectors due to them being dirty and as of yesterday a misfire. The car is very sluggish to start and will eventually run fine but sputters. I have already replaced the plugs, air filter and mass airflow sensor. I am not able to find anything showing me how to do the injectors. From what I'm seeing on some of the posts on this thread I need to remove something to get to the fuel rail. If anyone has tips or pictures it would be greatly appreciated.

2008 Chevy HHR SS
2.0 turbo charged

If I need to remove something so that I can expose the fuel rail to do the swap. What other parts may I need to do this job? I have the injectors and a fuel injector seal kit.

Thanks

Brett
Old 06-06-2023, 12:39 AM

You should perform a compression test. Replacing the injectors on the SS is not as simple as on the normally aspirated engines.
Old 06-06-2023, 08:05 AM

Moved.
Any CheckEngineLight? Or, some guy on facebook said?
Old 06-06-2023, 01:38 PM

Sounds like you are doing the parts shotgun approach to your problem.
If you would like to test start with codes.
Old 06-07-2023, 12:57 AM

No faults

I have no fault lights or codes. I don't think I am doing a shotgun attempt to fix. The sluggish start idle fluctuating started when I changed the mass air flow sensor and filter. This was due to a fault code and inspection. I then changed the plugs few days later at the suggestion of the shop.

It seems that once it gets started and revved for a little bit the idle calms down and it then runs proper. There are no issues after that point unless it sits again for the day when I'm at work. It sputtered the other morning when I'm I pulled out and was sluggish to start. But after that it does just fine

So before.i have the tank dropped and pump and filter on lump replaced I wanted to change the fuel injectors, hopefully to save some money. But I can't find anything on doing this task on the SS model. With the cover that I'm assuming over the injectors. Need guidance
Old 06-07-2023, 06:25 AM
Administrator

I’ve got to ask, did your shop test the in tank fuel pump pressure?
What spark plugs did you install?
what brand MAF sensor did you install?
is the HPFP the problem? These direct injection engines have a very high fuel pressure.
have you inspected the timing chain? A loose chain will cause sluggish problems as you have posted.
Old 06-07-2023, 07:55 AM

Have looked to make sure the MAF is plugged in tightly? Check all the wires that might have been disturbed when the filter and MAF were changed.
Which code implied bad MAF. How long was it ignored before inspection?
When it is acting up check for pending codes, they won't set the CEL and clear when the engine is turned off.
Do what you want, but I doubt the injectors are at fault. Most problems with them will set a code.
Fuel pressure is a possibility, You can "borrow" a gauge and check for free.
What about the coolant temp? High/Low?
Old 06-07-2023, 08:33 AM

I.donot remember the code at the time the sensor was changed. I just know it was on and it couldn't pass emissions. An OEM sensor.was used. I ma from small town, so to borrow and test the pressure probably not an option. The sensor must be because the system reset to allow the emissions test to pass. Ac Delco iridium plugs were used. I can't get into the shop for 2 more.weeks so trying all I can on my own before that. I get a smell of gas also after driving it so from what I've read that's dirty/clogged injectors. As for the fuel pump I was told it would have issues when driving also, but it doesn't. Just issues at starting. After a bit the issues will clear up even if I pull out before it's good. It will misfire but codes and then just run smooth. No have not checked the chain. The sluggish start, smell of gas and lack of issue when driving have pointe me to plugs. Which I thought I could do prior to it going in the shop for fuel pump and wasting money. I don't want to spend for.thaybif not needed. Thats why I am asking here "how to". It won't hurt to change them and if it can save me a few hundred $, that would be great too.
Old 06-07-2023, 08:35 AM

Coolant temp is running in the 190s as pretty normal. Connector was checked and it's clocked in and no fault shown. The sensor was brand new oem
Old 06-07-2023, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Ok, change the injectors

Here is a how to on an LNF engine

Last edited by Oldblue; 06-07-2023 at 10:09 AM.

Quick Reply: fuel injector problems