SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

GM Turbo Upgrade (flash ECM) question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 06:15 PM

GM Turbo Upgrade (flash ECM) question?

Hello,
I ordered and put in the GM Turbo Stage 1 upgrade kit.
Drove it to the dealer only 6 miles away stayed out of boost to have my ECM flashed for my appointment at 8am. I gave them ALL the information they needed to complete the job..instructions, kit serial number and auth code...box...ect

I waited for 4 hours in the waiting area and was told they were waiting for GM to call them back?
The porter took me home. They called 1 hour before closing and said GM never called them back and suggested I do not drive the car and to leave it with them until Monday?

So my real question is...Do they really need to contact GM in Detroit to flash my ECM when they have the kit serial number and authorization code?

3-4 days to flash a ECM...I really hope they don't screw this up...
THANKS~

Last edited by Pretzel; 02-22-2019 at 06:52 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:27 PM
Technical Moderator

If they had a tech that knew what he was doing they would not need to call tech support. I had a similar problem when I replaced the airbag computer, the fool could not read and follow the directions on his Tech2.

I am not an expert but I think all they have to do is go into the SPS menu and follow directions. It is just like replacing the ECM but asking for a different piece of firmware (your numbers). Illiteracy runs rampant in garages.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:27 PM
Administrator

Ah, try not to worry, it’ll be all forgotten once you get it back and that permanent grin stretch’s your lips from ear to ear, that glare in the mirror is your sparkling smile!
we’ll need pictures of your first burn outs!
Or maybe just drive it conservatively and a civilized manor.
Old 02-22-2019, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

GM has to send them the reflash files( or whatever). The dealer does not have them on hand. GM sends the single use files that are registered for your car only,
It will be a VIN based reflash for your car only.
The problem may be that the Turbo upgrade (GMTU) is so outdated and GM probably hasn't gotten many requests for these in the last few years.
Remember. The GMTU has been available for over 10 years. Plus they quit making the SS 9 years ago. Some "old time" GM employee may be the only person left that even knows what the GMTU is.

Yes. Leave it with them. Driving around with the 3 bar sensors and no reflash could cause issues when they do get to finish the work.
Had mine done about 7 years ago. Dealer did the sensor install and reflash. Been working fine ever since.
I hope you went with the plug-n-play harness. The old splice-in harness was very trouble prone
Old 02-22-2019, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
GM has to send them the reflash files( or whatever). The dealer does not have them on hand. GM sends the single use files that are registered for your car only,
The problem may be that the Turbo upgrade (GMTU) is so outdated and GM probably hasn't gotten many requests for these in the last few years.
Remember. The GMTU has been available for over 10 years. Plus they quit making the SS 9 years ago. Some "old time" GM employee may be the only person left that even knows what the GMTU is.

Yes. Leave it with them. Driving around with the 3 bar sensors and no reflash could cause issues when they do get to finish the work.
Had mine done about 7 years ago. Dealer did the sensor install and reflash. Been working fine ever since.
I hope you went with the plug-n-play harness. The old splice-in harness was very trouble prone
Thanks for the Update....
I went with the newer kit with the plug-n-play harness. Even then the lower Map sensor was not fun to get at. The kit came straight from GM and had a inventory pull and build date for December 2018. I know I'm late in the game for this upgrade.

Old 02-22-2019, 07:48 PM
Platinum Member

FYI. Make sure the lower Tmap sensor has the "tab" correctly removed. The sensor must sit flat and be firmly screwed down to the turbo piping. If not, you risk the chance that the sensor O-ring will not seal correctly. If it doesn't seal, it will run like c**p and go into limp mode.
Ask me how I know. Better yet, ask the tech who did mine. He learned that lesson of "Do it right the 1st time or you're asking for trouble"
Old 03-01-2019, 05:42 AM
Platinum Member

So.............. Did they finish the install ?
Old 03-01-2019, 01:04 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by firemangeorge
This is absolutely true. It's called a VCI number. Once GM loads the program to your specific VIN, using the number supplied in the kit, the tech can then download it to your vehicles ECM.. This is true for a lot of GM add on accessories.
Old 03-02-2019, 01:58 PM

Hello,
The dealer got the file last Monday and every thing is great. I noticed the increased power right away.

@ firemangeorage I did get the lower map sensor installed correctly (seated) THX

Cheers!
Old 03-02-2019, 09:35 PM
Administrator

Awesome, rock on!! Watch for Kodiaks with Kodak’s!!

Quick Reply: GM Turbo Upgrade (flash ECM) question?