SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Information for those thinking of Buying an SS

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 09:47 PM

Information for those thinking of Buying an SS

http://www.underhoodservice.com/Arti...bo_engine.aspx
Old 01-15-2012, 10:23 PM
Platinum Member

Good find.
Old 01-16-2012, 02:30 AM

Interesting read !
Old 01-17-2012, 09:10 AM

Good Article!

With toys the HP/Displacment, goes up to 2.4 HP. Impressive!
Old 01-17-2012, 05:03 PM

Great read, thanks for posting!
Old 01-18-2012, 10:45 AM

It's always amazing to read about the hi-tech and performance features of this car. I mean Sodium filled stainless steel valves are something you would normally buy aftermarket. At some expense.

I'm from the old school when cars didn't last much more than 100K. I worry about the little high reving 4 bangers lasting as long as a good old V8. But with this much technology behind the Ecotec engine, I'm hoping for 200K or more out our now orphaned cars.

Maybe its to early in the HHR life cycle to wonder if people are willing to rebuild or replace their engines in the HHR after its "worn"? Rather than buy a new car.

We love our HHR SS. When the day comes, I'd like to find a low mileage wrecked HHR or other with the Turbo to replace the engine and keep the car. Its a unique car and I'm sure it will be a collectors care someday or survive in HHR clubs and eventually businesses to provide parts (GM has all the parts now, anyway for a while).

Perhaps this question deserves its own thread. GM did good on this engine, and I think on the car. Although there are always things about any car you wish were different or better, I have no complants about the engine or the stock performance.

P.S. Great article.
Old 01-18-2012, 11:50 AM

Very nice find. I've always loved the Ecotec turbo. Good on fuel with a V6 or V8 horsepower output. Does it get any better!

Had to add this to my favorites, cause here in Canada there are not alot of these enginees around and people always ask. Tall Texan I agree with you on the longevity of the engine, cause it works so hard. If you look after the engine we should get 200K, which is pretty good.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:49 PM

While I dearly love my HHR, my thoughts are that after I've racked up all the miles and owned it all the years I care to, I'll be letting it go to the next brave soul who might want to comtemplate a rebuild or maybe just finish off the rest of it's useful life. But I'll definitely be looking hard at buying another GM vehicle that's powered by a performance oriented Ecotec or some descendant thereof. These powerplants will probably only get better with time and I'm really hoping one finds its way into another cool niche vehicle.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:15 AM

I hear ya RoadDawg. One would think after this many number of years of automobiles, there wouldn't be much room left to innovate. But there is. Example, I want a car with an IPod interface w/o buying aftermarket equipment. Heck throw in a car computer with nav, music, internet, car diag, Blue Tooth, voice control, the works. Also give me the high 30s to low 40s in gas mileage. But also give me performance when I need it. Hybrid, whatever, just make it reliable too. Generally in the past, performance, gas mileage, and great reliability were mutally exclusive and rarely found together in one car.

10 or 20 years ago, having a 250HP+ engine ment a V8 or eventually a V6 both engines without decent gas mileage. Having a four banger today that can reach that number stock is amazing in some ways.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:30 PM

Wow, really neat article.

Guys, I only have 16k miles on my 2009 SS. I don't even want to think about hitting the 100k mark or having to do a rebuild at this point. Maybe the attachment will fade, but I wanna keep this little hotrod as long as possible!

I'm with RoadDawg831, if the HHR SS is this good, Whatever comes down the pipe from GM should only be better.

Quick Reply: Information for those thinking of Buying an SS