SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

Injector Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 01:06 PM

Injector Replacement

Looking for a little bit of information, maybe even a how-to. I routinely get a P0302 code for the misfire on cylinder 2. This has been going on for years, I have it to the dealer a couple of times, but they can never diagnose the cause. It continues to get worse and I typically have to reset the code about every other day.

I recently changed my plugs and also swapped the coil from #2 to #4 to see if the issue moved cylinders. It went away for a week or so, but its back. Same cylinder. Coupled with the rough idle and only about 26mpg hwy, I believe its time to swap in a new injector.

Has anyone here done this? It looks pretty straightforward. Any steps, write-ups, etc. would be much appreciated. Otherwise, I guess I'll just dive right in and see what I can do.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:37 PM

Hi, are you sure the issue comes from your second injector ?
Because I had almost the same problem on my '08 HHR SS on cylinder 1.
But the issue wasn't the injector it was the valve (exhaust valve to be precise).

In fact, after a compression test, it revels a lost compression on cylinder 1.
I had to change all the cylinder head (I'm in Switzerland, it was cheaper to order a complete cylinder head then to repair it !)

If you really have to change your second injector, you need to take out your intake manifold ! I don't remember if you need to pull out the fuel pump but I known you have to pull out the fuel pipe between your pump and the injector feed pipe ! (In the manual it says you have to replace the fuel pipe with a new one).
Be careful to buy the right injector, on Ebay they are around 200$ each and sometimes you can find a new full complete harness with the 4 injector around 700$.

Good luck
Old 03-14-2013, 07:40 AM

Thanks MedinBlack. I am not 100% sure it's the injector. Maybe I should run a compression test and see where I'm at first. Was hoping not to have to do that and run into head issues.

Either way, after digging into it some, I may take it to the dealer and see if they will warranty the repair under the 100K powertrain warranty(I have 10K left). It looks a little more complicated than I first thought.
Old 03-14-2013, 07:45 AM

Injectors

You may want to check out Cobalt forum. Mongorat427 is selling complete new injector sets with updated O-rings for much less than dealerships.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:49 PM

I have replaced two injectors. Is not big deal. I just removed the air filter box, the injector rail are located in the front. If I remember well, you need to remove a couple of screws to set free the rail and just pull out the injector. Really is a straight forward task. Had the same code, did the same as you, and just worked the replacement of these injectors.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:59 PM

Just an update:

Since I still have 10K left on my 100K powertrain warranty, I took Red into Coggin Chevy here in Jax on Monday morning to see if they would warranty the injector issue before I tackled it myself. Initially, they told me I probably just needed a fuel system cleaning, but they would take a look at it. At worst, I would be out $100.

Got a call on Tuesday afternoon. After much testing and calls to GM engineering, they determined my diagnosis to be "most likely" correct and told me they had a new injector on order, covered by warranty!

Got another call this afternoon. They installed 4 new injectors and "it didn't quite fix it." So, now, they are putting a brand new head on for me, also under warranty!

Considering this misfire has plagued me for quite some time (even before I tuned with HP Tuners), I'm looking forward to seeing how well the SS runs once everything is fixed up. Hopefully, a bit better fuel mileage too.

To top it all off, they are going to have their transmission guys look at it b/c the clutch pedal is soft. May need a new slave/master cylinder, which they should cover as well. The clutch itself is a KY Stage 3 with only about 10K on it.

Im stoked!!
Old 03-28-2013, 04:05 PM

That is great to hear/read Jax.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:02 PM

2 weeks in and Red is still in the shop. They told me would hopefully be end of this week. Glad I got my old Trooper...
Old 04-12-2013, 02:34 PM

Called me today. They have everything back together (plus a new timing belt and tensioner), but it's "still just not quite right". Seems it has about 15-20 psi lower compression than it should across ALL four cylinders.

So, as of today, they are taking it all back apart and starting again. At least they are finally giving me a rental.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:20 PM
Administrator

I smell new motor in the air?? or ECM great to hear they are fixing the issue

Quick Reply: Injector Replacement