SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

intake cleaning media blast setup video

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 10:16 PM

intake cleaning media blast setup video

i put together a bunch of ideas to walnut blast the intake. all parts are easily had. no mess no prep no clean up.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:54 PM

Awesome!! I'm looking forward to some pics of how clean the ports are. Another option for folks to clean their valves and ports, options are good!

You may get a check engine light if you leave the hose off between the valve cover and the turbo. Metered air blah blah blah, perhaps it can be compensated for with HPTuner.

Nice work.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:06 AM
Administrator

Just a thought, how do you clean the other side of the intake valves and the exhaust valves?
Old 03-05-2017, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Oldblue
Just a thought, how do you clean the other side of the intake valves and the exhaust valves?
The exhaust valves should be pretty clean, nearly all of the vapors should get burned up in the combustion chamber.

I think you're referring to the part of the intake valve that lies in the 'shadow' of the valve stem. With OP's system, the blast media is probably really bouncing around in there pretty good. Between the blasting, and the vacuuming, I would think the 'dark side' got pretty clean. There may be a little residual, but we do the best we can, right cannuck?

I am a little concerned that the valve seat/mating surfaces didn't get cleaned. do you have any plans for that, cannuck?
Old 03-05-2017, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Like in your thread , RJ very well done.

https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/how-...lves-ss-56184/

I'd be hesitant to have the valves open to clean the seat area.

This shows the cause, and suggests a solution to solve the problem

I couldn't find a viable video that shows the results of the CRC spray, so it might or might not work!
I personally like the water injection idea, I ran water spray in my drag car back in the day to prevent detonation, the by product was cleaner piston tops and intake valves.
Of course, my butt dyno convinced me it was time and money well spent!
Old 03-12-2017, 03:07 PM

When I checked the valves when they were open the seating portion seem to be very clean. I've seen others use brushes and scrapers which the blast will not do. i'm guessing fuel injector cleaner may help or water injection system down the road. After the cleaning the car was much more responsive. But since I have learned I have blown a three cylinder piston ring or piston my other post will explore this further,
On a sidenote I did use seafoam and did absolutely nothing the carbon was nine years old of build up and would not break apart with a liquid that needed the blast
Old 03-13-2017, 10:39 AM
Administrator

You gave it the good old college try!! To bad about the #3 cylinder! You gonna rebuild or replace the engine?
Old 03-14-2017, 10:31 AM

Once the weather warms up I will take the heads off and see if it's just Rings or a broken piston if it's just rings I may try and do the minimal work as labor is free as well as the education
Old 12-03-2018, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by cannuck
Once the weather warms up I will take the heads off and see if it's just Rings or a broken piston if it's just rings I may try and do the minimal work as labor is free as well as the education
I know this is an old thread, but I stalked your stuff here and on YouTube and was curious. Did you ever find out what happened to #3 cylinder? Rings or piston? And was it a result of the misfire CEL you had?
Old 12-03-2018, 06:21 PM
Administrator

cannuck hasn’t been back since April, perhaps a PM to him will get his attention!

Quick Reply: intake cleaning media blast setup video