Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-specific-service-issues-repairs-61/)
-   -   "Limp Mode" issues P101 and P106 codes (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-specific-service-issues-repairs-61/limp-mode-issues-p101-p106-codes-47460/)

bigjacksauto 08-12-2013 10:28 AM

"Limp Mode" issues P101 and P106 codes

Well
I figured I better create a new title for the issues I have had with My HHR SS in the past month or so.
I started another thread a while back
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/2-0l-performance-tech-46/hhr-ss-shutting-off-running-rough-about-first-few-minutes-each-morning-s-46920/
and everyone has been great about adding info

But this title better suits what I am now experiencing and also from the research I have done it sounds like alot of
HHR SS
Cobalt SS
Solstice GXP
and
Saturn Sky
owners have either experienced or are still experiencing from time to time.
Usually ends of being a boost leak and or wiring from what I am told but a lot of times
it seems there is never a true reason found.I am not sure but this does not seem to be the case with trifecta tuned or hp tuned vehicles but I could be wrong.

You are Driving along for months if not years and then all of a sudden you car goes into the dreaded LIMP MODE:skull1: which consists of loss of power car sometimes starts running rough to the point you have to pull over and turn the car off and back on.

In my case yes the wiring had been hit on the lower sensor
so new wiring
tons of room
new MAF sensor
New Tmap Sensors
New Spark Plugs
New Upper charge pipe that was leaking
New O2 Sensor Upstream
Car will normally run a couple or few days and out of no where
it goes into Limp Mode

Hopefully this will help future owners to find a 100 percent resolution it seems that a good majority of Solstice owners have this issue as well even with the stock sensors.

badassbowtie 08-12-2013 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by bigjacksauto (Post 716062)
Well
I figured I better create a new title for the issues I have had with My HHR SS in the past month or so.
I started another thread a while back
https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46920
and everyone has been great about adding info

But this title better suits what I am now experiencing and also from the research I have done it sounds like alot of
HHR SS
Cobalt SS
Solstice GXP
and
Saturn Sky
owners have either experienced or are still experiencing from time to time.
Usually ends of being a boost leak and or wiring from what I am told but a lot of times
it seems there is never a true reason found.I am not sure but this does not seem to be the case with trifecta tuned or hp tuned vehicles but I could be wrong.

You are Driving along for months if not years and then all of a sudden you car goes into the dreaded LIMP MODE:skull1: which consists of loss of power car sometimes starts running rough to the point you have to pull over and turn the car off and back on.

In my case yes the wiring had been hit on the lower sensor
so new wiring
tons of room
new MAF sensor
New Tmap Sensors
New Spark Plugs
New Upper charge pipe that was leaking
New O2 Sensor Upstream
Car will normally run a couple or few days and out of no where
it goes into Limp Mode

Hopefully this will help future owners to find a 100 percent resolution it seems that a good majority of Solstice owners have this issue as well even with the stock sensors.

Hey bigjack! What kind of air filter you got?

bigjacksauto 08-12-2013 02:30 PM

Stock ac delco filter from the dealer with about a couple thousand miles on it

XtremeSS 08-12-2013 05:32 PM

The fact that you are still getting the TMAP code makes me think you still have a bad/intermittent connection or ECM bad or needs reprogramming

SS fan 08-12-2013 07:29 PM

Or all three, before the dealer just gives up. I hate to say this, but that never stopped me before..:lol: A very nice fella that was a member here, Gasman had some similar issues, Chevrolet finally gave up trying to make it right and bought it back. Sunflowerhippie same deal. Have you got any assistance from our resident Chevrolet service advisory yet ?

bigjacksauto 08-13-2013 05:57 AM

thanks for the advice
I dont think the dealer has given up yet as of yesterday they where going to check with Gm
All the research I have seen shows that a lot of soltices have this issue
I am guessing at this point that its oil on the tmap sensor that causes it.
I have been told that a lot of these cars will actually acumulate oil in the intercooler.
and then at times they will pull or have the oil pushed up into the intake.

bigjacksauto 08-13-2013 06:12 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a shot of when it is running rough going into limp mode
[attach][attach]Attachment 15102[/attach][/attach]
the other 2 pics above are of the upper tmap sensor after it goes into its limp mode.
As others have suggested possible pcv issue
still looking for a pcv hose routing diagram with the add on electric vacuum pump
for the brakes

bigjacksauto 08-13-2013 06:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of the electrical tape that I found when I pulled the plastic covering back of the wires that go to the ecm
anyone know what these color wires (blue and gray) do.
I thought maybe they where in here when they added on the vacuum pump for the brakes but according to the instructions this is not the side they deal with.
Attachment 15103

prod 08-13-2013 07:53 AM

So did they check for coking on the valves yet?

bigjacksauto 08-13-2013 12:30 PM

Not yet but from the pictures I have seen most all of the di motors have that issue.
I will run it by them.