SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs Service/Repairs specific to the SS. Turbo-Brembo Brakes-2.0 Engine-Limited Slip Differential-Programmable Display-MU3 Transmission

More boost loss....back to the dealer...again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 05:31 AM

More boost loss....back to the dealer...again!!!

My car is going back into the shop again this morning. I've had a lot of boost issues(I have the Stage1). Last month I lost all boost and crawled to our dealer. The MAP connector shredded from hitting the pipe. They fixed it but I figured if it happened once, it will happen again.
Yesterday,while driving on the Merritt Parkway in Connecticut, I was doing 70-75 and all of a sudden,the car shuddered and the boost was gone! Hit the gas and it didnt do anything....just coasted.......Then after a few times of pressing the pedal,the boost was back. Try that on a 2 lane parkway with cars coming up behind you! Scary. It happened 7 times. Ive had the car 1 year and had a LOT of boost issues. I have a 5 year loan and I am not happy anymore. Stupid little issues I can deal with....but driveablity....especially losing power on parkways. This is the 4th time in 3 months the car is going back in for this. There are CEL's,no codes. Terrible design by GM on the placement of the sensor. If the sensor connestor is bad,they will replace it but it will keep happeneing and that makes me uneasy. Does anyone have a better fix?
The other thing I have issues with is off the line power. Feels like stock instead of the Stage 1. When the hit was first done,you would nail it and it would spin right into 2nd. Mine is automatic. Now.....you nail it.....there is a slug like response,then it starts to spin but shifts into 2nd before all the power is made. I am thinking maybe the torque converter may be bad. Whatever is going on, it is nowhere near how it was when the kit was done.
Any suggestions?
Old 05-07-2010, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by gmdealerguy
My car is going back into the shop again this morning. I've had a lot of boost issues(I have the Stage1). Last month I lost all boost and crawled to our dealer. The MAP connector shredded from hitting the pipe. They fixed it but I figured if it happened once, it will happen again.
Yesterday,while driving on the Merritt Parkway in Connecticut, I was doing 70-75 and all of a sudden,the car shuddered and the boost was gone! Hit the gas and it didnt do anything....just coasted.......Then after a few times of pressing the pedal,the boost was back. Try that on a 2 lane parkway with cars coming up behind you! Scary. It happened 7 times. Ive had the car 1 year and had a LOT of boost issues. I have a 5 year loan and I am not happy anymore. Stupid little issues I can deal with....but driveablity....especially losing power on parkways. This is the 4th time in 3 months the car is going back in for this. There are CEL's,no codes. Terrible design by GM on the placement of the sensor. If the sensor connestor is bad,they will replace it but it will keep happeneing and that makes me uneasy. Does anyone have a better fix?
The other thing I have issues with is off the line power. Feels like stock instead of the Stage 1. When the hit was first done,you would nail it and it would spin right into 2nd. Mine is automatic. Now.....you nail it.....there is a slug like response,then it starts to spin but shifts into 2nd before all the power is made. I am thinking maybe the torque converter may be bad. Whatever is going on, it is nowhere near how it was when the kit was done.
Any suggestions?

Hitting the pipe? Do you mean AC pipe or compressor?

If so the dealer needs to move the Intercoler forward with fender washers. It is a simple fix with only the negitive issue of removing the bumper to fix it.

As for the off line it may also be related to hitting the AC.

If it was a converter you would still have boost but it would rev and not go anywhere with is rare and seldom seen. Unless the lock up converter was stuck and then it would stall.

Just relax as you no matter what is happening a simple fix away from solving this issues. The real need is to either get the dealer to fix it right or take it to a dealer that has a better understand with the car.

I had a similar issue and was getting ticked off too but once we figured out with GM performace what the issue was I have has no issues since.

I know it is aggivating but it will get fixed.
Old 05-07-2010, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Hitting the pipe? Do you mean AC pipe or compressor?

If so the dealer needs to move the Intercoler forward with fender washers. It is a simple fix with only the negitive issue of removing the bumper to fix it.

As for the off line it may also be related to hitting the AC.

If it was a converter you would still have boost but it would rev and not go anywhere with is rare and seldom seen. Unless the lock up converter was stuck and then it would stall.

Just relax as you no matter what is happening a simple fix away from solving this issues. The real need is to either get the dealer to fix it right or take it to a dealer that has a better understand with the car.

I had a similar issue and was getting ticked off too but once we figured out with GM performace what the issue was I have has no issues since.

I know it is aggivating but it will get fixed.

Its the dealer I work at. I am the parts manager so I gotta keep it in house. I just told the tech about moving the intercooler forward. Its coming in the shop shortly so we will see if the wire shredded again or not.
The off the line issue happened before and after the wire ripped off last time, so something is still up there.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:21 PM

Before 11 billion people come on and say this: 1) are th ewires soldered? and 2) is the lower map wiring protected by convoluted tubing??
Old 05-07-2010, 01:42 PM

are the sensors even secured properly, was the boss removed? ? there are a lot of things to check.

as far as the sensor design, my tech said it should have been made like the original one
Old 05-07-2010, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by asanti
Before 11 billion people come on and say this: 1) are th ewires soldered? and 2) is the lower map wiring protected by convoluted tubing??
Not soldered...but protected by tubing. So here is an update:
Tech called Techline and basically they were not much help. They actually told the tech to tell me that turbos are tempermental. I came back with "Ask tech-line if they feel it's normal and safe for their product to suddenly lose all power and acceleration on a parkway"??!! I have had turbo cars before and been in the GM business since 1986......I'm not a newbie.......
They had no reply except to say they dont know much about the car or how to fix issues. They also think it may be related to the exhuast......so now they have to tests on it on Monday. If they cant find anything on Monday, I am going to start a buy back process. I cant drive this car for 4 more years with that kind of issue......I drive on parkways everyday and cant risk that.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by gmdealerguy
Not soldered...but protected by tubing. So here is an update:
Tech called Techline and basically they were not much help. They actually told the tech to tell me that turbos are tempermental. I came back with "Ask tech-line if they feel it's normal and safe for their product to suddenly lose all power and acceleration on a parkway"??!! I have had turbo cars before and been in the GM business since 1986......I'm not a newbie.......
They had no reply except to say they dont know much about the car or how to fix issues. They also think it may be related to the exhuast......so now they have to tests on it on Monday. If they cant find anything on Monday, I am going to start a buy back process. I cant drive this car for 4 more years with that kind of issue......I drive on parkways everyday and cant risk that.
I sent you a PM with some info that might help. Let me know if you got it.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by stephenm
are the sensors even secured properly, was the boss removed? ? there are a lot of things to check.

as far as the sensor design, my tech said it should have been made like the original one
The T map is an off the shelf 3 bar that fits the hole with a slight mod. If GM had to have one made there would be no kit.

THis kit was made up before the Chapter 11 and had no money to make this as a new part. So we have what we have and there has been some issues on clearance that comes up on some.

Note the T map fits several Euro cars including an Alfa Romeo.

Even as many kits as they have sold the number is small in the big picture of things and would make it hard to make a new part in so few numbers. Also it is good to have a more common part as if you ever have to replace it you can order one from anyone who carries Bosch parts. One day this may be an even bigger issue if you need one.
Old 05-08-2010, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
I sent you a PM with some info that might help. Let me know if you got it.
I did. Thanks. Check your PM again, I sent you a question about an email address.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:12 PM

Hey, I'm having the same issue more or less...I didn't get the "shudder and lose all power", but I have had multiple loss-of-boost situations. Already taken it in once and at that point they couldn't replicate the issue so they cleared the CEL and gave it back to me. I'm taking it back in tomorrow and want to give them a simple step-by-step list of things to look at (I don't think they took the bumper off last time since they couldn't replicate). Sorry if this is kinda stupid but I'm not much of a mechanic...

1-TMAP sensor...what about it exactly should I ask them to look at?
2-Moving intercooler forward...how much more clearance does/should it need?
3-Which wiring should be checked for fraying? Soldered or not, protected by tubing or not...I'm guessing soldered and protected is how it should be? For the sensor being secured correctly, what is the boss that's mentioned in post#5?

Quick Reply: More boost loss....back to the dealer...again!!!