Chevy HHR Network

Chevy HHR Network (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/)
-   SS Specific Service Issues/Repairs (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-specific-service-issues-repairs-61/)
-   -   New filter throwing codes (https://www.chevyhhr.net/forums/ss-specific-service-issues-repairs-61/new-filter-throwing-codes-34795/)

Martial Law 03-27-2011 12:29 AM

New filter throwing codes

Installed a Dejon SRI a few days ago with a (grey) Aem dry flow filter. It was a 3" outlet and I squeezed it on the inside of the SRI piping. Amazingly it was snug enough not to fall off while my new 3.5" outlet filter was on its way. I had no problems with the car at all. I got the new filter that fit correctly over the SRI piping and began throwing p0101 MAF codes. The difference on the filter was that it was a newer style AEM (red-hybrid) dry flow filter. Could the new filter of contaminated the sensor? What do you think?

foolmoon_design 03-27-2011 06:40 AM

Not an expert, sounds like the filter is restricting air-flow. Our engines have a very small "comfort zone" for operating

1Panel2NV 03-27-2011 07:13 AM

It is most likely throwing the fuel trims off.

Tune time.

Martial Law 03-27-2011 11:17 AM

I had this issue before with another car. I replaced the MAS for about $90.00 and codes disappeared. The first time this came on was when I was doing a buck twenty down the road. As for a tune, what route should I go with?

Snoopy 03-27-2011 02:47 PM

IF it is the fuel trim.....pull the battery cable for a minute or two. Reinstall and drive it like you stole it. MIGHT reset the trim tables.....might not.

JoeR 03-27-2011 05:42 PM

The GM tolerances for setting the P0101 DTC seem to be a little sensitive. I've ran into this a few times now tuning.

It is highly likely that your intake has changed the airflow at the MAF enough to trigger this.

Sorry, Snoopy... Disconnecting the battery won't fix this. It will reset the fuel trims, but they will learn back in a short amount of time. If the MAF calibration is off, there are only two things that can fix this issue:

1. Put the stock intake back on. Right!

2. Get a custom tune from a competent tuner that can recalibrate the MAF. Only data logging and recalibration of the MAF can fix this. The GMPD upgrade or a typical canned tune won't.

Martial Law 03-27-2011 08:52 PM

Im thinking while I get all my bolt ons Ill keep my code reader handy to delete the CEL's. Then when I am ready to add an extra tune, maybe do the trifecta on top of the GMTU. Will that recalibrate and cancel any future CEL's?

bartSS 03-28-2011 07:26 AM

If youre not tuned for it no matter what you do the code will keep coming up and the car will go into limp mode (if it hasnt done so yet). Find a local tuner with HPtuners and have them take care of you. But if an intake is all you have and will have then i would just get rid of it and leave the stock one on.

I have a cold air intake sitting under my bed because i put it on and had the same problems you did. It was good for like 2 days then it would throw the code like 5 times in a 10 mile drive. So for now its a nice paper weight until i tune for it.

rallycobalt06 03-28-2011 11:16 AM

here's my .02 cents.......

1. when adding an intake on the LNF (whether it's a filter upgrade or full intake upgrade) a custom tune is REQUIRED. the LNF is a very finicky engine/computer combo, any little thing you do will throw off something and throw a code. the MAF is very sensitive and putting a different intake on will allow more air to go past this sensor and it'll go insane, throwing a code & jack up the fuel trims trying to compensate for the additional air flow. i really don't know how many more times this needs to be said on this forum. maybe i can toss some money to the ADMIN to create a giant flashing banner at the top of the forum. it seems like every week there's 2-3 new "air filter" threads. there's a search button, use it.

2. AEM filter suck. get a K&N.

/rant

bartSS 03-28-2011 12:02 PM

Good rant rally good rant

P.S im still lookin